Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished building my Spot on Friday and just got out on it for a shake down ride at Phils World today. To sum up my first impression of the Spot.......Holy Sh1t, I love this bike.

Comparing these two (Sultan/5.Spot) bikes isn't exactly apples to apples but they are both Turner bikes that fill similar spots in the line up. The handling and plushness of the Spot, in my opinion, far out weigh the benifits of the larger wheels of the Sultan. At my weight (~230) the 29" wheels never really felt stable, even though I was running 36 hole Delgados. Furthermore, climbing through technical moves or long extended climbing seems very taxing with the larger wheeled sultan. Every climb I did today, on the Spot, seemed like it took much less effort than the same climbs had previously on the Sultan. Handling on the Spot is a whole different experience comparred to the Sultan. I found myself taking corners faster than I have ever done before. In Summary, again, Holy Sh1t, I love this bike.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
bones get broke said:
Comparing these two (Sultan/5.Spot) bikes isn't exactly apples to apples but they are both Turner bikes that fill similar spots in the line up. The handling and plushness of the Spot, in my opinion, far out weigh the benifits of the larger wheels of the Sultan. At my weight (~230) the 29" wheels never really felt stable, even though I was running 36 hole Delgados. Furthermore, climbing through technical moves or long extended climbing seems very taxing with the larger wheeled sultan. Every climb I did today, on the Spot, seemed like it took much less effort than the same climbs had previously on the Sultan.
Well, no one will ever accuse you of being a zealot. :D

There is a lot to be said for the 26" wheel. Glad to see you found the frame that puts a big smile on your face. And I dig that color, I had it on my Sultan.

I really think that the Spot is THE perfect trailbike.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Sultan put a big smile on my face. The Spot makes me feel like I smoked too much weed. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dang son,
I don't want to ride a bike that makes me hungry all the time! I think I'm gonna return my frame and get my money back.

What up with the brake cable?

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BigLaker said:
What up with the brake cable?
Hydros come out of the box pre-sized. I don't have a bleed kit or I would've fixed it.

·
Chur
103 Posts
Awesome shots man! Mind giving us the rundown on the specs of your build? It looks a lot like the spot I'm building up.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I feel the same way`

Mr DT gave me a chance to put some miles on an Ibike demo Sultan last year and my experience peralelled youre's. Nice flat land and gradual climber but on steep rough climbs the Spot makes me feel stronger when compared to the Sultan.
I still wouldn't mind owning a 29r but I can't see myself riding it enough with my Spot sitting next to it.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Specs:
2008 XXL w/ RP23
Pike 454 Coil fork (needs a beefyer spring)
DT 5.1D (Swiss made) rims laced to Hadleys - 20mm front, 10mm rear.
Formula K24 brakes - 180mm rear rotor, 200mm front rotor.
X0 twist shifters, X9 front and rear der.
XT cranks
Sram PC-980 casette
King headset
Thompson X4 stem 70mm
Thompson Elite post
Hope QR seat post clamp
Race Face Diabolus bar
Pure V seat
Kenda Navegal tires - 2.5 front, 2.35 rear

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
I experienced just the opposite this week. In the terrain I ride on I felt that the Spot was slower and harder to get around on than the Sultan.

There is no denying that the Spot is a wonderful bike however. I have seriously enjoyed mine.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Nice pics Bones! Your writeup confirms what I have always suspected.....29 inch wheels = more marketing hype than the Trek split pivot.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
bones get broke said:
The handling and plushness of the Spot, in my opinion, far out weigh the benifits of the larger wheels of the Sultan. At my weight (~230) the 29" wheels never really felt stable, even though I was running 36 hole Delgados. Furthermore, climbing through technical moves or long extended climbing seems very taxing with the larger wheeled sultan. Every climb I did today, on the Spot, seemed like it took much less effort than the same climbs had previously on the Sultan. Handling on the Spot is a whole different experience comparred to the Sultan. I found myself taking corners faster than I have ever done before.
ACK! Blasphemy!

He's a Witch....BURN HIM!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
006_007 said:
Regarding the "Holy Sh1t, I love this bike" statement - I reach the same conclusion each time I ride my spot.
+1 on these statements about the Spot.

SSINGA said:
I experienced just the opposite this week. In the terrain I ride on I felt that the Spot was slower and harder to get around on than the Sultan. There is no denying that the Spot is a wonderful bike however. I have seriously enjoyed mine.
Perhaps the use of a longer travel fork than the frame was designed for made the Spot feel slower and harder to get around. I really like my Spot (with a 140mm fork) and would pick it if I could only have one bike; no question. It is, IMHO, the best trail bike when set-up as intended.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:
Perhaps the use of a longer travel fork than the frame was designed for made the Spot feel slower and harder to get around. I really like my Spot (with a 140mm fork) and would pick it if I could only have one bike; no question. It is, IMHO, the best trail bike when set-up as intended.
One might conclude that but it was actually just the opposite for me. The 160mm setting (I tried 100/130/160 to confirm this) raised the front end and shifted my weight back making it easier to carry speed on the technical trails, but I still couldn't carry speed like I did on the Sultan.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
SSINGA said:
One might conclude that but it was actually just the opposite for me. The 160mm setting (I tried 100/130/160 to confirm this) raised the front end and shifted my weight back making it easier to carry speed on the technical trails, but I still couldn't carry speed like I did on the Sultan.
Niners only work for small guys

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
slowrider said:
Mr DT gave me a chance to put some miles on an Ibike demo Sultan last year and my experience peralelled youre's. Nice flat land and gradual climber but on steep rough climbs the Spot makes me feel stronger when compared to the Sultan.
I still wouldn't mind owning a 29r but I can't see myself riding it enough with my Spot sitting next to it.
Heh. Exactly the opposite for me. My Sultan eats up the steep nasty technical climbs and I'm MUCH faster overall on the Sultan. Sold the Spot and couldn't be happier.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SSINGA said:
I experienced just the opposite this week. In the terrain I ride on I felt that the Spot was slower and harder to get around on than the Sultan.

SSINGA said:

MightySchmoePong said:
Heh. Exactly the opposite for me. My Sultan eats up the steep nasty technical climbs and I'm MUCH faster overall on the Sultan. Sold the Spot and couldn't be happier.

Maybe you guys only ride your bikes on Opposite Day. :D

·
Registered
9,089 Posts
Does the OPs experience on an XXL Sultan (just guessing since now he's got an XXL Spot) have anything to do with it? That would have been a HUGE bike. Anyone riding a medium Sultan couldn't have had the same riding experience as he did. Maybe size does matter.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bones get broke said:
Hydros come out of the box pre-sized. I don't have a bleed kit or I would've fixed it.
I have the kit and 2 of your water bottles, but it requires a huge deposit!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts