Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already posted the pics over here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4039703#poststop but I had to give a shout out for the Sultan here. I just got it today from Dave at Redstone and got it all put together. (Dave was great to deal with by the way. Highly recommended!)

The DT skewers are the shiznit. I've never seen them before and I like the burliness of the thicker skewers. They may or may not add stiffness but I'll ride more confidently knowing that they are there. A perception of benefit is still a benefit, right? :thumbsup:

Anyway, I've never seen Industry Nine wheels before either. They're almost too pretty to ride and get dirty. And the Formula Oro Biancos are bling and have a nice even lever feel. I thought that my Juicies felt nice, but these things juice the Juicies. It's got pretty much an XT/X9 build and I must say that these components impress me.

I gave it the driveway test even though I don't think I was supposed to. I'm in recovery from a knee scope that I had a few weeks ago. I've been cleared for the stationary bike, but my PT never mentioned a real bike. Anyway, it's going be a bit longer before I can get out and give this fellow a proper flogging, but the preliminary feel of the bike is very promising. Balanced and quick yet not twitchy in the least.

I simply cannot wait to get this thing out on the trail, but I am going to be a good boy and take it slow.

C'mon knee! :)

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
send it to me, I'll break it in for you while you rehab so when you're ready to go, everything is stretched/bedded/worn in :)

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to heal that much faster now! Actually, having this thing staring back at me is going to make the recvoery seem like an eternity. Even my wife likes it! She said, "That blue is pretty." I'm in like Flynn!!! :)

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GreenLightGo said:
send it to me, I'll break it in for you while you rehab so when you're ready to go, everything is stretched/bedded/worn in :)
What's you talking 'bout Mr. G?! You already have a Sultan. Are you going to ride both of them at the same time?

Thanks for the good words guys. I'm going to try and get this thing back up to strength and get back out there slowly. My wife told me that I should not have been testing it in the driveway last night. She's right, but it just HAD to be done. ;)

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
that is one sweet SWEET bike! :thumbsup::D

good to hear your knee is doing better. cleared to ride a stationary bike is a good thing...even with no resistance, it's still better than nothing! :) and although i don't think it's a good idea to push that knee by getting on a bike too early, in this case, a spin was completely warranted....i would have done the same darn thing. when a bike that awesome shows up on your doorstep, you can't just park it without at least a quick spin! :D

take care and heal fast! i can't wait to hear the ride reports!!! :):):)

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dHarriet said:
that is one sweet SWEET bike! :thumbsup::D

good to hear your knee is doing better. cleared to ride a stationary bike is a good thing...even with no resistance, it's still better than nothing! :) and although i don't think it's a good idea to push that knee by getting on a bike too early, in this case, a spin was completely warranted....i would have done the same darn thing. when a bike that awesome shows up on your doorstep, you can't just park it without at least a quick spin! :D

take care and heal fast! i can't wait to hear the ride reports!!! :):):)
Man, this is really tough! Every now and then I can hear this whispering voice saying, "Hey! Psssstt! Don't you want to go for a ride?" Strangest thing is that it seems to be coming from the room where the bike is??? Oh well...

The recovery is going well. I think that by next week or so, I'll be able to ride on the road. Hopefully not long after that I will be able to get dirty. It's just about perfect timing because it seems like the weather is just about to start turn here.

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
cocheese said:
What's you talking 'bout Mr. G?! You already have a Sultan. Are you going to ride both of them at the same time?
Umm - mines already been broken in, yours - not so much. I just thought I'd jump on that grenade and offer to help a fellow Homer out. It's the least I could do. :D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
looks great Tyler....i hear you on the DT skewers.....while I didnt try my bike without them for a comparison, they seem an optimal choice for anything short of 20mm a la F29.

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FoShizzle said:
looks great Tyler....i hear you on the DT skewers.....while I didnt try my bike without them for a comparison, they seem an optimal choice for anything short of 20mm a la F29.
Thanks Fo. Your El Rey provided some inspiration on the build. Yeah, the DT skewers are beefy. I don't have anything to A/B them to either. I'm just fizzy at the bung to try this thing out on the trail. :)

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
cocheese said:
Man, this is really tough! Every now and then I can hear this whispering voice saying, "Hey! Psssstt! Don't you want to go for a ride?" Strangest thing is that it seems to be coming from the room where the bike is??? Oh well...

The recovery is going well. I think that by next week or so, I'll be able to ride on the road. Hopefully not long after that I will be able to get dirty. It's just about perfect timing because it seems like the weather is just about to start turn here.
definitely the bike calling your name. :yesnod: not surprising....gigi does it all the time! ;)

super awesome that your recovery is progressing so nicely!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Dr. Pain is doing a great job whipping you back into shape! ;) great work, and definitely take a camera along for the first dirt ride! :D

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Those skewers are awesome
only a homer would look at that bike and say, 'nice skewers'! :rolleyes::p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts