Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This one has taken a time to get together. It was almost a Giant - or something else - but that wasn't to be. Three threads later as far as MTBR is concerned, and while DT gets 'dirty' in the far east looking at plastic bikes, here it is. My built Sultan Light...
S1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg
s4.jpg
s5.jpg

In its few small hours built I have ridden it around the local park. I had some great help from 2x LBS on this build and a few others. A few bits still to come (E.13 guard and Time Ti pedals).

It is as light as I expected - not light - but not heavy. I think it will be about 26lbs... We'll see after a I get a new battery for my scale.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My Sultan 2010 (large) build observations:
  • Finish is of a high quality: Consistent welds. Some inconsistencies in paint (a noticeable color void on down-tube). Decals a bit average – as is usual Turner. The blue is stunning.
  • Easy to build. Simple and logical cable routing. Full cable runs outstanding (I have an issue though. my LBS supplied me a cable run that is pre-lubricated. The long lubricated run with the GripShift Teflon coated cable provides sluggish shifts. I will have to swap this).
  • Some cable clutter around bottle cage mount – clears-up after you mount the cage. I don’t know where I’ll mount a pump – I suspect if I add it to the cage it will just be more cluttered or raise the cage mount high). I’ll try one there and see.
  • Love the post (ready) mount for rear brake.
  • My moto-style front brake left-lever, right-rear means I had to cross the rear brake and shifter cable on the downtube. Not that neat.
  • King Headset went in nicely – top to bottom headset alignment feels perfect. Smooth. The new Griplock from King is a vast improvement over the old o-ring design. Shame the upgrade cost so-much.
  • Bottom Bracket fit firmly – but easily. XT cranks are a close but comfortable distance from the stays.
  • Thomson seatpost slid in easily – the Turner branded seatpost collar is beefy, effective with a bulky/ugly bolt and gap. I like the Turner logo on this collar and again – it works very well – but I will add a Hope collar soon.
  • Zerks didn’t seem to allow a grease purge. Will have to play with this.

First ride impressions (round the ‘hood’ spin):
My 175cm, 5.9 frame has to ‘climb’ onboard the high Sultan. My relatively long inseam still allows me to standover the steep top-tube and if I lift the bike a few inches gap shows to the floor. The first thing you notice sitting on the Sultan is how ‘quality’ and solid it feels. The front and rear suspension sag in unison and it sits ready in its travel. Any ‘high’ feeling I have goes as soon as I turn the pedals.

Acceleration on the Sultan is faster than I expected from a 29er, 120mm travel, mid-weight, full-suspension bike. The DW-link rear is really effective at getting power to the ground and compared to my older TNT and HL Turners this feeling from the new rear when accelerating is most noticeable to me. It is obvious the Sultan is no XC race sled. But I feel it could be raced – as the 120mm travel is used so efficiently – I swear it rides like a hard-tail at times, with plush.

It has sharp handling. Carves turns yet can be turned on a small radius. This is the first bike I have had where I really sit inside the fuselage. I usually have a lay-back seat-post and 110mm stem on a 23 to 23.5inch TT medium. The longer TT large means I have a zero layback post and 90mm -6deg stem. With 660mm flat bars I feel really centred. My weight feels well balanced, I can mono and hop at ease. I really like the head angle of this 2010 (I think Turner went slacker in 2011). One thing – I am shocked to say I can notice the stiffer fork on my tapered Yeti versus the regular straight steer rub on my Sultan. That or the extra 20mm of travel shows. I am not sure.

I am still waiting on a chainguard for my front single ring, and pedals, before I subject the new Sultan to a long ride. Until then I anticipate a most capable trail bike, that most likely will be up for some 24-hour and marathon races. Just what I wanted.

I can say I am really stunned how much I like the Sultan compared so far. I can’t wait for some quality trail-time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marshall Willanholly said:
The zerks are not designed to allow a grease purge. Check the "Lube Zerk Fittings" heading on this page of the Turner website:

http://www.turnerbikes.com/011/tech.html
Thanks I admit that I haven't visited the Turner 'Tech' section. I wasn't trying to purge I was just trying to pump a bit of prep-M into the zerks. Nothing seemed to enter the zerks - I just got grease all over the zerk. I guess it just may not need grease yet.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Coldass said:
Thanks I admit that I haven't visited the Turner 'Tech' section. I wasn't trying to purge I was just trying to pump a bit of prep-M into the zerks. Nothing seemed to enter the zerks - I just got grease all over the zerk. I guess it just may not need grease yet.
Since my 08' RFX was new it might take a pump or two on the larger pivots half way thru a season.

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Coldass said:
My Sultan 2010 (large) build observations:
  • My moto-style front brake left-lever, right-rear means I had to cross the rear brake and shifter cable on the downtube. Not that neat.
Cross the cables in front of the shock. Much neater.

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Nice! I like the blue. If you hit 26 lbs it'll be 4 lbs lighter than mine. Not bad for a 125mm FS 29'r!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SSINGA said:
Nice! I like the blue. If you hit 26 lbs it'll be 4 lbs lighter than mine. Not bad for a 125mm FS 29'r!!!

I'll have to weight it today. I am eager to know where it falls. I think between 26 and 27 - I do have a 2.55 WTB WeirWolf on the front after all. I don't think it is good sense to run a small, light tire on the front. I may go to something a bit lighter - we'll see.

I like your green!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
banga said:
Constantly rubs on the paint that way and can also end up with a tighter radius in the cable which effects shifting.
That's it. Running cables the other way just causes excessive rub. I'd rather the cross than all that extra framesaver and cable rub.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It is smack on 27lbs (12.25kg). A lighter front tire (once I buy one) and with the Ti pedals on the way it will drop to around 12kg or 26.5lbs.

I will not go lighter than this as it would take 'weight-weenie' parts to achieve and start to sacrifice durability or ride qualities for a trail-bike like the Sultan (such as no-stans in tires, narrow-non tubeless ready tires, alu bolts, expensive brakes, etc...).

First big ride tomorrow morning. A 4-hour out and back from home with some hard-core boys from the hood.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I now have an E.13 XCX guard. I was waiting for that for the maiden ride.

I have also added a bottle cage and different seat.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1st 'big' ride impressions...

The suspension works very well for a 120mm travel FS bike. Very well. I didn't touch pro-pedal - just no need for it.

The big wheels roll well and at the weight I achieved it feels lighter than it is on the flats.

The Sultan 2010 is a very nimble frame. Sharp handling - very much like my old 2005 Flux - believe it or not. I have some adjustment to make with steering due to the shorter stem than usual (for me).

It is a very easy ride. Rutted, rocky trails just get eaten. It climbs very, very well. I didn't notice the weight and the front wheel always felt planted. My setup is very balanced on the track and small jumps and drops are soooo-eassy.

Yes - I have a massive smile and am very pleased to own my Sultan. I suspect it will be my go-to bike for most rides.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few other thoughts. My other two 29er's have had slacker head angles. My Yeti Bigtop is a slower steerer than my Sultan 2010. Also the Chris King headset with the new GripLock top race is just amazing. So much better than the old design.

I implore any King owner to upgrade. The steering is now like liquid butter. Almost too smooth - coupled with the fast steering front end. I feel like I need wider bars!

I can see my DT went slacker in 2011. But I am please to have the steeper angle as where I ride has a lot of tight single-track and switchbacks.

I did get grease into my zerks. It seemed a few rides got the bushes flowing. I checked all the bolts to correct torque. All were on accept the lower DW link. A few Nm too loose.

It easy easy to have passion for Turner bikes - this Sultan has renewed me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts