Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report:
The top has scattered rocks, the mid is wash out and even more toward the bottom. 3 to 4 foot crevice at the bayliss cement driveway!

The graded trail from mid down is gone, lots of mucky sand washes, the creek bed in general has a rocky bottom. You will be either riding the creek bed or blazing your own trail! I hit a couple of creek crossing that were at least hub level deep!

It was beautiful!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
yeah, hopefully they'll plow it again this week so it's back to the easy grade to the top. Makes getting to the fun trails much easier, imo.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2w4s said:
yeah, hopefully they'll plow it again this week so it's back to the easy grade to the top. Makes getting to the fun trails much easier, imo.
Probably not until after the rains. take westridge to the top then come down sulli.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
nagatahawk said:
Probably not until after the rains. take westridge to the top then come down sulli.
why? that would be super boring. There are a lot of much more fun trails than Sulli Canyon in the area, is my point. You seem to be waiting for Sulli to get back to how it used to be, I'm pretty sure The Gas Co is not going to let that happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2w4s said:
why? that would be super boring. There are a lot of much more fun trails than Sulli Canyon in the area, is my point. You seem to be waiting for Sulli to get back to how it used to be, I'm pretty sure The Gas Co is not going to let that happen anytime soon.
I guess its not for you!!

·
Nothing to see here
892 Posts
I rode it last Thursday. The upper half is still a gravel, ADA-approved boredom. It then devolves into a riverbed.

Old Sulli is sorely missed.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MTP said:
I rode it last Thursday. The upper half is still a gravel, ADA-approved boredom. It then devolves into a riverbed.

Old Sulli is sorely missed.
what a bunch of trolls,
I had a blast sunday and everyone I spoke to at the bottom loved it! Please don't rain on my parade!!

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Sulli sucks. There are way better trails to ride in the area.

One day you too will realize there is no joy in going down a fireroad.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nagaredama said:
Sulli sucks. There are way better trails to ride in the area.

One day you too will realize there is no joy in going down a fireroad.
you are another troll!

You guys are badass at you computer, I'll be at Sulli next week end bring it on!
tell me to my face!!!

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
nagatahawk said:
you are another troll!

You guys are badass at you computer, I'll be at Sulli next week end bring it on!
tell me to my face!!!
What other trails in the Santa Monica's have you ridden?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nagaredama said:
What other trails in the Santa Monica's have you ridden?
what does that matter? I was initially merely giving the locals the latest trail condition of Sullivan canyon. then I start getting all the hate. trolls the lot of you!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the trail update.

Sullivan was and (still is I guess) my favorite way to get up to Mulholland and access Backbone, Broken Arrow, Sullivan Ridge jumps, etc.

It also used to be a great spot for a 45 minute out and back before/after work blast. Steady climb going up and fast flowy fun going down with a few little drops/jumps/features to play on. I'd love to have that Sulli back and the more damage the rains do the better our chance of getting it back soon. I don't know that the Gas Co will leave it, but the rains have been carving some fun little drops and channels that could easily be improved upon to provide a great riding experience with a little work. Hopefully they blew their road improvement budget earlier in the year and we'll be allowed to play.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
isilverman said:
Thanks for the trail update.

Sullivan was and (still is I guess) my favorite way to get up to Mulholland and access Backbone, Broken Arrow, Sullivan Ridge jumps, etc.

It also used to be a great spot for a 45 minute out and back before/after work blast. Steady climb going up and fast flowy fun going down with a few little drops/jumps/features to play on. I'd love to have that Sulli back and the more damage the rains do the better our chance of getting it back soon. I don't know that the Gas Co will leave it, but the rains have been carving some fun little drops and channels that could easily be improved upon to provide a great riding experience with a little work. Hopefully they blew their road improvement budget earlier in the year and we'll be allowed to play.
I just spoke with eric at Cynergy, he says he help develope the old single track with the ok from the gas co. He said he will ride up and take a look. Maybe we can make that single track that doesn't intervere with any of the gas co. plans. nothing stay the same in sullivan. This is the third time ive seen it change
later
wn

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The contact person is Eric at Cynergy in Santa Monica. Eric thought that the Gas Co will not be back up there until after the rains. so for now we have some fun riding. I will post any information I hear.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The more variety the better in my opinion. I thought sullivan canyon was fun before the gas company, was fun after the gas company, and I had tons of fun riding it post rain. Especially hitting the big drop that is now at the end
Getting on the bike and riding is just plain fun. Fire roads, technical singletrack, drops, jumps, its all good. Don't be a fire road hater, they can provide tons of entertainment and a great ride experience.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
nagatahawk said:
tell me to my face!!!
If didn't already have plans I would gladly say it to your face, and the go ride some fun trails, not fireroads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts