Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GONE
27,419 Posts
I rode up the canyon today after work. Just to the top of where the trails criss-cross the fire road in the canyon.

There was a lot of work activity in there. A lot! I do have to say that each and every one of the workers greeted me in a very friendly manor. There was scouts set up above and below each work area and the moment they saw me coming, they haulted all work, moved over, and guided me through with a smile. It was really something to witness.

Like every where else, it's terribly dry and dusty in there. My red bike came out of that ride in a nice shade of chalk white. Yuck.

It seems like every time I ride through there, more more and little sections of trail are added. Most of them are technical, not what I was expecting. My little 4" travel FS bike didn't like the 3 foot drops very much.

·
GONE
27,419 Posts
More like 11.2478 inches rather than 3 feet, not that I've gone out and measured it :)
No this is a cement slab you drop off of and I was nearly vertical (on my front wheel) when I hit the bottom because I rolled off of it slowly not realizing how far it dropped. I was shocked I didn't go OTB. I was afraid that I had bent my fork crown or cracked my head tube.

Somebody please take a measuring tape up there and measure that drop? :lol:

·
Registered
Revel Rascal
598 Posts
No this is a cement slab you drop off of and I was nearly vertical (on my front wheel) when I hit the bottom because I rolled off of it slowly not realizing how far it dropped. I was shocked I didn't go OTB. I was afraid that I had bent my fork crown or cracked my head tube.

Somebody please take a measuring tape up there and measure that drop? :lol:
Yeah, I know it well as I launch off of it all the time. I'll bet is measures under a foot. However, I can imagine it would not be pretty to roll off of it as you did. It is a totally undercut cement slab. Very smooth if you huck it with some speed, though. Nice job keeping it together while rolling it!

·
GONE
27,419 Posts
Yeah, I know it well as I launch off of it all the time. I'll bet is measures under a foot. However, I can imagine it would not be pretty to roll off of it as you did. It is a totally undercut cement slab. Very smooth if you huck it with some speed, though. Nice job keeping it together while rolling it!
That's it. I'm heading back up there in two weeks on Weds with a pick and shovel. It will be 3' deep when I get through with it.

·
Registered
Revel Rascal
598 Posts
That's it. I'm heading back up there in two weeks on Weds with a pick and shovel. It will be 3' deep when I get through with it.
You'll be happy to hear that you only need to dig down one foot. I rode out there this morning and made a mental reference as to where the cement slab lined up with my fork stanchion while my bike was sitting in the landing zone. Tape measure says the drop is almost exactly two feet. We'll have to split the difference on this one.

·
GONE
27,419 Posts
You'll be happy to hear that you only need to dig down one foot. I rode out there this morning and made a mental reference as to where the cement slab lined up with my fork stanchion while my bike was sitting in the landing zone. Tape measure says the drop is almost exactly two feet. We'll have to split the difference on this one.
I was a bit shocked when you kept stating that this drop was only about one foot (or less). :lol:

I'm still thinking that it's at least 2" 1", though. I emphasize that 1" extra inch, too. ;)

Anyway, thanks for checking. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just getting over 4 weeks of hell from severe poison oak from a silly fall on one of the single track spurs. Landed on dead looking vines with no leaves, assumed it was not P.O. Wrong! Have ridden that single track dozens of times with no issues, now I'm not sure I will be back, it was that miserable. Be careful!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I rode up the canyon today after work. Just to the top of where the trails criss-cross the fire road in the canyon.

There was a lot of work activity in there. A lot! I do have to say that each and every one of the workers greeted me in a very friendly manor. There was scouts set up above and below each work area and the moment they saw me coming, they haulted all work, moved over, and guided me through with a smile. It was really something to witness.

Like every where else, it's terribly dry and dusty in there. My red bike came out of that ride in a nice shade of chalk white. Yuck.

It seems like every time I ride through there, more more and little sections of trail are added. Most of them are technical, not what I was expecting. My little 4" travel FS bike didn't like the 3 foot drops very much.
i had a similar experience they are all very respectful and cautious of bikes. I'll have to look out for the drop off next time. At least its not the entire rode dropping off 5 ft like when the El Nino rains washed the road away : )

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
FYI For those that ride home down the "horse" trail that drops at the entrance gate to sullivan canyon they have put up new "water-bars" accross the entire middle part of the trail. These are not your typical water-bars more like 1x12 or 1x10 blockades. If you got the skills they can be easily bunny-hopped, but they definitely hinder the flow of this trail section.
Definitely seems like a method on the part of the powers that be to cut down on bike traffic on this section. Oh well. Its kind of like how they put metal cross bars on ledges to cut down on skateboarding.

·
Banned
4,816 Posts
Just getting over 4 weeks of hell from severe poison oak from a silly fall on one of the single track spurs. Landed on dead looking vines with no leaves, assumed it was not P.O. Wrong! Have ridden that single track dozens of times with no issues, now I'm not sure I will be back, it was that miserable. Be careful!
TRUE. Dead-looking PO is almost just as dangerous if you are a reactor than PO in full-bloom. All of th rective oils and resins are on the stems and branches of the dry plant.
As you found out....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.