Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old bike has a worn out Truvativ XFlow that is impossible to buy new now(even on Ebay) It is an 8 speed set with 22-32-42 rings. I need to replace it with an equal set, not lower. I am looking at the Alivio 175mm arm, crankset which seems to be about the same quality and performance as the XFlow. Mind that I don't want to upgrade the bike, just want to replace parts with like parts on the cheap.

So would the Alivio set be about equal or even better than the XFlow? From what I have read, it is, but I need reassurance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Alivio is pretty well the bottom of the Shimano line, lowest that has replaceable chain rings. It uses a internal bearing, square taper bottom bracket.
Having said that, it's a good useable crankset. It's not going to stand up to dirtjumping but would be OK for double track etc.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Alivio is pretty well the bottom of the Shimano line, lowest that has replaceable chain rings. It uses a internal bearing, square taper bottom bracket.
Having said that, it's a good useable crankset. It's not going to stand up to dirtjumping but would be OK for double track etc.
Alivio deserves a little more respect than that...in fact it is several steps from the bottom (Toruney. Altus, Acera, Alivio). The crankarms are cold forged, something you usually don't see in a sub $50 crankset. While the chainrings are steel, they are replaceable so aluminum rings can be used. Combine with a UN55 bottom bracket and this would be a solid setup.

Another solid square taper 8 speed crankset is the SRAM S600, again cold forged arms with replaceable rings.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the tools arriving tomorrow and I discovered today that it is a square taper BB spindle. Why I thought it was splined, I have no idea. This is good as it is easier to find square vrs splined cranks. Currently I have sprayed the BB cups with penetrating spray to make it easier to take out. I sprayed and wiped all the crud out of them so they do not grind in dust bits as I wrench out the cups.

Thanks for the BB recommendations. It will be either the Alivio or S600 cranks, depending on ebay prices. Either wil be fine for this bike as it is an oder bike that I just want to get restored to ride again, because I like the frame a lot and it is a fun rider. Also I don't know what new bike to get right now, so in the mean time I'll have old reliable to ride.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts