Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking at putting together a touring bike with front suspension. The plan is long-distance (Europe, Middle East, China), using some trails, third-world roads and asphalt in between them. I'll be running on 26" wheels using disc brakes, (V-brake mounts for emergencies a plus but not essential).

I'm looking for front forks whereby reliability, longevity and simplicity are key - high-mileage, fit and forget, largely maintenance-free and ultra durable with 100mm travel and lock-out for uphills.

For a rough reference, my old Magura Odurs fitted the bill perfectly but have been discontinued. For periods away from bike shops I'm thinking to continue with coils over air (though open to advice on their durability) and was wondering if there is a fork similar to the Odurs that would fit the bill? Like I said simplicity is key and weight not really an issue as I'll be carrying a decent load on the back anyway.

A couple I've seen:
Rockshox Recon SL Silver TK Forks (£125) (http://tinyurl.com/67yqdm9)
RockShox Tora SL Coil 100mm TurnKey CrownAdj (£119) http://tinyurl.com/4fg6rtj
Marzocchi 2011 - 22 RLO Forks (£136) http://tinyurl.com/6y4dvbz

The fact they are so cheap is somewhat worrying in terms of longevity and my budget stretches approx £200 maybe 250 for something exceptional.

Opinions/experiences please. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize you weren't asking for something in this category, but have you considered double crown downhill forks? They're rugged enough and there are models out there with few, if any adjustments, thus fewer things are likely to break down.

For example, I'm building my current touring rig around a Manitou Travis Triple that has seen at least 2 previous owners and is now about 4 years old. Even though it has seen its share of downhill trails, it still looks and feels bombproof. It hasn't been serviced in over a year, it has less oil than required, but it still works like a charm. It felt like a huge gamble to use it for touring when I first got it, but it hasn't failed me yet, and since I'll probably never push it as hard as a serious DH biker does, I'd trust it almost as much as a rigid fork.

As for the lockout option, I initially wanted a fork with lockout too, but due to increasing knee pain due to powering up hills I started pedalling at higher cadences and built a frame with considerably slacker geometry to help, so a stiff fork for uphill riding isn't a requirement for me anymore.

And I would also recommend that you go with coil springs. There's nothing fit-and-forget or maintenance-free about air forks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sandulea: interesting idea, which I must confess I hadn't considered. I guess my issue would be how it could throw the geometry of the frame which I have.

Mtnbiker72: I agree, the two forks would make a good spot-the-difference puzzle. Even now I'm not entirely sure I fully comprehend it. So you think the Toras would be better than the Recons? Why?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the latest Marzocchis? They had a decent touring rep a few years ago but I've heard some horror stories from the 2008 and 2009 forks and that places a large question mark over them. As I only have experience of the excellent Maguras, how do Rockshox and Marzocchi shape up in the durability stakes in your opinions?

Thanks.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
JD48 said:
Mtnbiker72: I agree, the two forks would make a good spot-the-difference puzzle. Even now I'm not entirely sure I fully comprehend it. So you think the Toras would be better than the Recons? Why?

Thanks.
Because you have the brake post option, as you mentioned in the original post:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts