Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fun trail, but the push is WAY too long (rode it today). Are there alternate routes other than parking way up Doubletree road? We tried pushing up Dead Cow once (at least I believe that was the name of the trail) but it wasn't what I would call a "good time" either. Are there quicker/easier routes to push to the top?

If you don't care to post things here, please PM me.....I'm a guy that can keep his mouth shut.

Thanks,

jeb4

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes there is

I assume you're pushing a heavy rig if you can't peddle up Dead Cow. It's tough but not that bad. Another route would be to start at Cheseboro and ride up to China Flats. The top of Dead Cow is accessable from there. Dead Cow over to Suicide is a good ride. You will have to take a little surface street to get back to Cheseboro.

Bob

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Dead Cow takes 20 minutes if you don't stop and get it over with. The entire loop can be done in 40 minutes with zero stops including the road ride back. At that rate you can easily do it twice with a gatorade stop at the car if you park at King James Ct. From all the sources I've heard from, Dead Cow is the easiest/quickest way up if you're just gonna push (meaning not pedal).

I'll likely be dropping it Monday morning if anyone wants to come along.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
:nono: :nono: actually an illegal trail that shouldn't be mentioned:nono: :nono: :nono:
Is it actually illegal or just not bike-allowed? These are two different things for the most part....

Besides, the trail is unmarked and really convoluded to get to anyways.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
jeb4 said:
Wasn't aware that it was either one?!? If it is then PM me and I will delete this thread (if you can do that on MTBR)
I wasn't aware that it was either, just that it is kind of a hush-hush trail. You can edit your posts to say nothing but not delete them.

I'll PM you and 1000oaks my phone number. I ride it pretty often on weekends when I'm down in LA.

·
Registered
450 Posts
FWIW, the North Ranch Mountain Bike Club website has the trail featured as prominantly as any other trail in the China Flats area...its been on there for several years. I think I've even seen the trail shown on a printed North Ranch/Oak Park community trail map too, so I doubt it's illegal (it wasn't called Suicides, of course).

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
It didn't use to be "officially illegal". With the current laws, if it doesn't have any signage it's illegal. It has always been known as Suicide. Not to be mistaken for Dead Cow, China Flats Trail, Boneyard, Poacher's Trail, or Old Boney.

Hikers and bikers use it regularly. There's a small ranger station at the bottom. They pretty much ignore you when you exit. They recently bulldozed the bottom 1/3 of the trail. Not sure what they were hoping to accomplish.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes. If you decide to ride it, please consider the following:

-Do not park on King James Court. This is a private street. The residents shouldn't have to put up with us unloading and loading bikes in their front yards.

-Wear pads and ride within your limits. Emergency airlifts bring attention to technical trails and get them closed. If enough people require airlift assistance from the trail, the powers that be will condemn the trail...again.

-Don't alter the trail by adding jumps. Too many "inexperienced trail builders" (read hacks) screw up the flow of the trail by making jumps when they haven't a clue how to make a decent take off or transition on the landing. You're just pissing off everyone else. And no, I don't claim to be an expert at building jumps.

-Don't create alternate lines. The trail is already a great ride. You're only being selfish when you start carving up the rest of the mountain.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Upchuck said:
It didn't use to be "officially illegal". With the current laws, if it doesn't have any signage it's illegal. It has always been known as Suicide. Not to be mistaken for Dead Cow, China Flats Trail, Boneyard, Poacher's Trail, or Old Boney.
Not implying that the name changed...just that this particular map called it something different, and a bit more tame (sounding). I think they used "Rocky Ridge Trail," or something similar.

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Warthog said:
Not implying that the name changed...just that this particular map called it something different, and a bit more tame (sounding). I think they used "Rocky Ridge Trail," or something similar.
Hmm...wondering if that's the name of the trail that is off to the east at the bottom. Many people turn left instead of right at the bottom so they don't upset the residents on King James.

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Strange. Never ever encountered anything besides perfectly friendly and accepting residents on King James Ct. We keep everything pretty low profile though - no blasting music, changing in the middle of the street, loud yelling, etc. Just gear up and go and maybe chill for a few minutes juicing up when we get back. Oh yeah, we DEFINETELY keep everything out of their yards and the parkways (sounds like someone has been trespassing a bit or something?).

More than a few times the residents have come out to check out the bikes and chat too. If bikers have ever been a problem there it is most likely just appreciation for the humble attitude for parking on their street if anything.

They're definetely far from hostile like the SB hikers and the Woosley Cyn. local basketcases I keep hearing about.

·
Registered
816 Posts
DHidiot said:
Strange. Never ever encountered anything besides perfectly friendly and accepting residents on King James Ct. We keep everything pretty low profile though - no blasting music, changing in the middle of the street, loud yelling, etc. Just gear up and go and maybe chill for a few minutes juicing up when we get back. Oh yeah, we DEFINETELY keep everything out of their yards and the parkways (sounds like someone has been trespassing a bit or something?).

More than a few times the residents have come out to check out the bikes and chat too. If bikers have ever been a problem there it is most likely just appreciation for the humble attitude for parking on their street if anything.
This is definitely a sensitive issue. There was even an article in the local paper a few years ago, with tails of mountain bikers using a homeowner's hose to wash off in the front yard. I've never seen anything like that, but obviously there are some potential issues. It's not a private street, but they do ask you park down on the main street (Lindero Drive). They even built an alternate trail into the main trail to bypass King James by starting on Lindero, but I don't like it as much for either biking or hiking. It's apparently still an issue - I heard there was a lock on the gate at the bottom of the trail recently, though it wasn't there when I went through last week. As in all of these types of cases, an extra dose of common sense and courtesy will go a long way to avoiding problems.

·
Registered
450 Posts
People in the area can get pretty pissy about others parking at the end of their streets...for whatever reason. I fly R/C gliders on a hill just down the street (off of Kanan and Hawthorne) and we went through the exact same thing several years. The residents at the end of the cul-de-sac where we parked tried to claim that the gliders were somehow a danger or something to them, but as soon as we started parking near a new access point on Kanan, the complaints stopped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.