Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else had a squirrel suddenly decide to hurl themselves directly in your path?

About a month ago I was cruising along a local bike with 2 buddies when a squirrel decided to cross the road. It saw me approaching as it made it half-way across the road and decided to turn around (right back into my path). It ran behind my front tire, but I felt a bit of a bump as the rear went over. As my buddies laughed hysterically, I turned around and watched it scury off and up a tree (pretty sure I just hit its tail).

No big deal, just a freak occurance right? So last night I'm on one of the local water ditch trails. I'd taken a slower buddy along and misjudged his climbing ability so we're having to push pretty hard to make it back to the car before dark. It's about 8:50 and the sun is tucked behind the hills so its starting to get a little tougher to see. Anyway, I come around a corner and spot a squirrel on the 18-inch-high raised edge of the water ditch (the smooth singletrack is the in deep part of the ditch). As I approach, the little guy does a 360 in place then jumps at me! I kid you not, the little bugger tried to attack me. Anyway, the squirrel hits my chainring and thumps under my rear tire. I holler in surprise while my buddy makes like a Geico commercial and crashes trying to avoid him. Squirrel takes off and we're left in a stuper thinking "wtf just happened?"

So do squirrels just think I'm Kevorkian or are they just this stupid with everyone?

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
you think thats bad one time i crashed trying not to hit a damn skunk .... then the som***** keeps running down the singletrack in front of me for what felt like 1/2 mile with me riding behind him before he got out the way!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
You chased a skunk for half a mile?

Melt said:
you think thats bad one time i crashed trying not to hit a damn skunk .... then the som***** keeps running down the singletrack in front of me for what felt like 1/2 mile with me riding behind him before he got out the way!
You realized that they spray this toxic stuff when you scare them, right? Believe me, you do not wanna chase and/or corner a skunk. That stuff is impossible to get off, and it gets everywhere. Like, you would wanna just set fire to your clothes and bike if you get sprayed... and your car, too, if you were a dumbass and got in after a spraying.

I know they don't have skunk in South Africa, but I thought you would know what skunk are by now.

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Haven't had problems with squirrels, but last night I almost took out 5 rabbits on my ride. Same scenario, dusk and getting back to car when the suicidal rabbits decided to show me how unafraid of death they are by running in front of my tire while I'm hauling butt... Once I hit the brakes pretty hard and I'm certain it saved the little guy, because I woulda nailed him. The other times it happened so fast I barely reacted at all... Man, if I end up with a rabbit in my front brake I'm calling someone else to come dig him out with my tire levers - ewwwww!

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
People have been feeding nuts and other "delicacies" to the squirrels at the big graveyard in town. At least one of the critters has jumped on a guy and bitten him in the neck... apparently because it was unhappy about the feeding situation...

·
Registered
32 Posts
dude awesome brake disc!

hey it could be worse, they could be stealing your car late at night, crashing through your garage door, and going to Wendy's like those darn racoons :drumroll:

·
Registered
57 Posts
SPDu4ea said:
So do squirrels just think I'm Kevorkian or are they just this stupid with everyone?
They're getting weird lately. I see them just sort of laying in my path like they're taking a nap or something. On my approach they jump up and try to run away, but they have trouble deciding which way to go. Sometimes they just stand there in fear, shifting their weight left to right. Others start off in one direction and (too often) suddenly reverse course.

So far both me and the squirrels have been lucky. I've started yelling at them when I see 'em to give their brains more time to figure out what to do.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a squirrel dart into the spokes of my front wheel. Luckily he just bounced off. I have also chased an Armadillo down a bike path about 30' before he decided to hang a right and hop into the woods.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There's a path beside the golf course, I like to ride my fixie on. There are about a thousand Richardsons Ground Squirls, in a 2 mile stretch. They look like mini prairie dogs. I swear they're like little mobile speed bumps. I rode into town once last year, and hit one. Had to go to lunch with friends, with blood splattered on my shirt. The highway is maybe 20 feet away. If you're that scuicidal, go jump in front of a car.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Don't forget psycho chipmunks. Zipping along a trail and I see this one about 15' off to the right. I first thought it just spazzed and started running along then it turned. He starts vectoring in to somehow try and cut in front of me... thump under the back wheel. Left a fuzzy lump in the trail. Kind of puts a harsh on my mellow. It was gone when I came back though. I think I stunned it or provided a free meal to something else.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I've been the death of a few lizards, i am sure. this morning i made a rabbit jump off a fairly sheer drop into a wash. It was probably ok.

·
karmacoma
635 Posts
In Mexico weve got a few rabitts, some hares (big rabbits right?) but little to no squirrels cross the trail infront of me.
what we do have is very competitive lizards, the type of lizard that comes from behind, catches up with the bike next to u, speeds up and then croses infront of u at some pretty good speed. I could also swear they keep looking behind at me and smile cuz theyre beating me. darn lizards

·
Registered
54 Posts
took one in the chest

This spring a squirrel was jumping from a tree on my right over to a tree on the left and hit me right in the chest. I still wonder which one of us was more surprised, but, at least it didn't have any shorts to clean. Also, armadillos are rather prolific here and at least one has a nice chain ring scar across its back :) .

·
Dude...
1,309 Posts
I hit a chipmunk once. Little guy decided to try and jump between my two wheels while I was riding by. Didn't make it though.

I dug a little grave and put a cross made out of sticks on top.

·
Student
820 Posts
i hope i never run into a kamakazie squirl or any other creature from the rodent family

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe

Maybe it just wanted a Pepsi? :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I read a post on here somewhere not to long ago that was from a guy who had a squirrel drop out of a tree and onto his helmet. But like I said there, that still doesn't top the guy in the Norcal forums that ran into a Mt. Lion.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
That's where the art of "bunny hopping" comes in handy! (Sorry, couldn't help myself!)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts