Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to buy some cranks for my fixie cross, but I'm having trouble deciding. I think the XD is going to get the final approval, though I have no idea what sort of chainline to expect. I was going to just buy a 113mm BB and pray. Hub spacing is wide: 54.5mm. Does the Sugino come out around 50mm with a 113, or should I buy a wider BB? Other crank suggestions? The Paul 100% Pure looks like just the ticket, but that's a lot of dough, and I already have a 5-bolt chainring.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
AteMrYeats said:
The time has come to buy some cranks for my fixie cross, but I'm having trouble deciding. I think the XD is going to get the final approval, though I have no idea what sort of chainline to expect. I was going to just buy a 113mm BB and pray. Hub spacing is wide: 54.5mm. Does the Sugino come out around 50mm with a 113, or should I buy a wider BB? Other crank suggestions? The Paul 100% Pure looks like just the ticket, but that's a lot of dough, and I already have a 5-bolt chainring.
Is the chainring 110? Needs to be...

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I like 'em a lot, esp. because of their price. The only thing I don't dig about 'em is that it's harder to put on a bashring (because of the placement of one of the bolt holes behind the crankarm). I use the 165mm for that spinny spin spin.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Hmm. I got an IRD BB in 118mm length for my XD's. I use the middle ring spot and it lines up well with my Rohloff Speedhub. I think the Speedhub is like 52 or 54mm? 107mm sounds skinny to me, but it probably works fine.

I love my cheap cranks!

·
3,049 Posts
Drevil said:
I like 'em a lot, esp. because of their price. The only thing I don't dig about 'em is that it's harder to put on a bashring (because of the placement of one of the bolt holes behind the crankarm).
Ditto. I'm awaiting a Blackspire ring god, which they used to make for Sugino-specific 94 and 110 bcd cranks. You can still get ahold of old stock, for the moment.

·
---
76 Posts
I've got an XD too on my k-monkey. I think my bb is a 113 or 114, don't remember but I'm using the outer ring position. I'd be interested in a bashring too. I searched around online and couldn't find one to fit with the 5th 'hidden' bolt. Like the crank a lot though.

·
3,049 Posts
Drevil said:
Where'd you order it from?
After numerous inquiries, including the LBS, Jeremy at Speedgoat came through. Don't have it in my hands, but I am hopeful. I've been using a Spot guard, which is thin (1/8") and tends to "stick" on logs and rocks rather than sliding.

Drevil, is that a Huffy with an Eno? ;)

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
ionsmuse said:
After numerous inquiries, including the LBS, Jeremy at Speedgoat came through. Don't have it in my hands, but I am hopeful. I've been using a Spot guard, which is thin (1/8") and tends to "stick" on logs and rocks rather than sliding.

Drevil, is that a Huffy with an Eno? ;)
I've never owned a Spot bash, but they look so thin, I consider them more pants guard than bashring.

About the Huff--just stickers on an old crapcycle (seen below in road wear):

·
3,049 Posts
Update: just got the Blackspire. NOT a weight weanie part, this thing is heavy and burly! It has a big cutout where the behind-arm bolt is, with four recessed holes for the rest. The design makes sense to me, and I'm psyched to take it out and smash some rocks, which I won't be doing til next week (tapering, drives me nuts with the excess energy).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.