Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Long time, no visit here. I have a question I hope some of you can answer, but it's not very VRC, but rare enough that Sheldon Brown hasn't heard of...A friend of mine has a Trek 930 of unknown vintage. It is steel, and has a RS Indy fork, so somewhere near 97 or so I thought. Anyway, he somehow bent his big ring. After setting him up with the wrong ring, I find out that his crankset is a Sugino Impel...74BCD for all three rings! I was stupified with this and have yet to find the right web search that will provide my desired result...a new 42t ring for my pal. Can anyone here help me out with this debacle??

Thanks all,
Tom

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Yep it's a 97-98...

There were a few fishers with that crankset as well. It's a really cheap/meh... crankset that they used to hit the price point (looked the part), I've never seen replacement rings for them. Probably way better off finding a Deore, crankset, or older LX, etc than looking for replacements for the Sugino.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
Nothing too odd...shimano has had cranksets in the past decade that used the inner bolt pattern for all three rings. One of the Alivio cranks used the 58mm bolt pattern to bolt on the 3-rings together (they were individually rivetted together). There was also the STX cranks with a 58/95mm bolt pattern which NOBODY other than shimano made the replacement rings for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.