Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relative Newbie to the DH/FR scene, and own a IH SGS TEAM 04 model. But looking to get into something better, Any suggestions? Budget not a issue, just want the best equipment. Thanks in advace. Or should I just stick with it and get better parts for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have clarified that earlier, but I was looking for a whole new bike. I'm not really all that happy with the fact that the rear end is very flexible torsionally. I thought it would would a lot more stout. On the flip side of things, I'm very happy with all of the components that came with the bike. just the frame set seems to me to leave a lot to be desired. The market seems to be flooded with good bikes so I thought that I would try this place a try to see what you guys thought. At least get a good Idea what everyone is riding. I do mostly the DH run from Idyllwild to Hemet and sometimes do the Hurkey creek thing everyonce in a while. Normal training run are done on the Fullerton loop. Any suggestion would be welcome.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
man I wish I could have said "budget not an issue" when I built my bike :p
I am running a Norco team dh custom spec'd and VERY happy with it :D :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are the parts availability on these bikes, I pretty much know that the Demo series from specialized are readily available from the local bike shops don't know of the local outlets for the other. ie.. kona, yeti, etc, etc. Also any other suggestions? How are the Ellsworth Dare?

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
I would stay away from Ellsworth

KENGORALLY said:
How are the parts availability on these bikes, I pretty much know that the Demo series from specialized are readily available from the local bike shops don't know of the local outlets for the other. ie.. kona, yeti, etc, etc. Also any other suggestions? How are the Ellsworth Dare?
You can read about problems with that company all day on the manufacturers forum. How bout a Santa Cruz V10 with a Zokie 888 200mm?:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer Lucky 13, the only limiting factor is that I'm hearing an excessive amount of creaking from the rear suspension flexing in the turns. I've had to make a few repairs and added gussets here and there to reinforce the rear triangle but still makes me worry. The runs I do out from Idyllwild is very fast and the last thing you want to have in the back of your mind is if the rear half of the frame is going to stay with you or not. Sort of unnerving when doing 50+ mph hitting waterbars. Lifer, you have just cemented my mind about not going with the Els. Took a look at the SC site and the VP free seems more to my liking, that is spec wise. what do you guys think? There is a local shop that carries the SC bikes so any issues should be readily taken care of--I hope?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.