Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Fellas, been check this forum out for a good 2 years, and I finally Joined!....Anyways......I have a Motobecane elite trail Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail I love the bike, I love riding around town, jumping curbs, and try to go offroad every chance I get! However I'm getting ready to hit some actual trails this summer. I took it to a local bike park here norht of town, jumps, burms, rocks, log bridges....pretty sweet place....I knew I would need a new fork eventually, but now I realize, I need tires and pedals. No problem, but thinkng for the serious hills we got here in Wyoming I may want better gearing too. Then there is the full suspension; thought that may be nice too.
Anyway 600$ towards entry level bikesdirect or upgrade this guys components. i love the bike, would probably keep it just for the around towns and cx trails, it would be a real sweet do all bike with 600$ worth of upgrades!

Questions 1. Would this bike serve me well for the trails if I were to upgrade forks and go to 1.9 wide tires.

Question 2. Current crankset 28/38/48t totally screw me on the really steeps? I've been up some easy stuff, but nothing like some of the trails I've been hikng on last summer out at Veadawoo....still got snow, so I can't go try for at least another month.

Question 3. Should I upgrade to a more MTB oriented crankset?

Question 3. Wheels, these ones have served me well, but 17mm wide with max 29x2 according to manufacturer. Hear 1.9 is actuall more correct. Would I be ok with 1.9 knobs?

Question 4. Would I be better off with something like the Motobecane 750ds? Save Up To 60% Mountain Bikes - MTB - Full Suspension Motobecane 750DS

Question 5. Convert hybrid to MTB? can it be done, or is it better to start from scratch? Kind of wishing I had a little more clearance between my warvels and the bar :)when hitting the rough stuff, Im 5'8 and have the 17.5" Though I haven't racked myself yet, the possiblility would be there If I were to fly forward 4" or so

Frame700C ALLOY 6061, 2xH2O mounts, replaceable rear derailleur hanger
clearance for up to 29x2.0" (most brands of tire)
Fork/Headset700C SUSPENSION FORK, SUNTOUR SF11-NVX-MLO, Lockout / VP-A42E BLACK
CranksetSUNTOUR CW9-XCC 28/38/48T
170MM(13~16")/ 175MM(18~23")ALLOY BLACK CRANK
Bottom Bracket SUNTOUR BB10-XCT, Sealed Cartridge Unit
PedalsMTB NEW SPEC 9/16" Boron Axle
Front DerailleurSHIMANO ACERA FDM360M6 TOP PULL
Rear DerailleurSHIMANO ALIVIO RDM410SGSL BLACK
ShiftersSHIMANO ST-EF51 24-SP BLACK (24 gears total)
Cassette/ChainCKHC 11-32T-8spd / KMC Z-72
HubsFORMULA DC19/25 Aluminum ALLOY BLACK with Quick Release
SpokesStainless Steel
Rims32H DA17 DOUBLE WALL, Aluminum ALLOY, 700c Black anodized
Tires/ Tubes Kenda Happy Medium 700x40C / Standard valve
clearance for up to 29x2.0" (most brands of tire)
BrakesTEKTRO NOVELA DISC BRAKE FR/RR 160mm Rotors
Brake LeversSHIMANO ST-EF51 24-SP BLACK
HandlebarFlat Bar W:600MMxR:20MMx6 DEGREES
StemALLOY BLACK 1.125" Threadless Aluminum
EXT:90MM(13"~16")/110MM(18~23")x10 DEGREES
Tape/GripWTB Dual Comfort Density
SaddleWTB SPEED V SPORT SE
Seat PostMicro Adjust 300MM, ALLOY BLACK
Seat ClampQR Aluminum Alloy Black Finish, 31.8mm
Sizessee pull down for available sizes
Colorsas shown

·
Registered
973 Posts
well I guess I will jump in here...don't want to rain on your parade, but I would not recommend spending any money upgrading the bike you currently own, and the other BD bike would not be a good investment either. I would suggest a visit to your LBS, discuss with them your intended use for the bike and then come back here, if you still feel the need for the forums suggestions based upon the brands they carry.... Dealing with a LBS has alot of advantages for a newer rider. There are some very attractive deals on '13 models to be looking at. I would consider Bikes Direct a last-ditch effort. You also should check CL in your area for a used bike that may be money much better spent...good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I agree having a LBS is the most convinient way, just can't get my self to spend that kind of money. 600$ just doesn't seem to buy very much from a LBS. I'll definately be checking back in with the LBS asap to see if they have any better deals, and keep checking CL. Are you not Bikesdirect fan, or are there some BD bikes you would recommend?

·
Registered
973 Posts
why not give the forum the brands the LBS represent and then someone here should be able to suggest a better option than a BD ride...the $600 budget will be a HT for sure, but it may be doable with a closeout '13 bike...especially a 26"! It would streamline the process if you would also provide your inseam, your weight and size of the bike you are currently riding and seem happy with. Hybrid's are never a good option for a trail type bike, but it sounds like you already realize that.

No, I don't have a particular vendetta (that's a little strong...) with BD, but unless you have an extended distance to get to a reputable LBS, at face value, I would consider it your best option. Even if your LBS was a XYZ dealer, and you found a XYZ on eBay, at least you would have a dealer who could assist you with brand specific parts or warranty issues.

There are other reputable, quality bike mfgs that sell direct, but before we head off in that direction, let's find out what your LBS sells.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! Whats funner than shopping for a bike huh!
32.5" inseam, 5' 8", 210 lbs. Probably start cutting soon and get back down on weight. Got 2 shops here these guys seam to be decent people.... Bikes - Rock on Wheels Bike Ski Cheyenne Wyoming Laramie Curt Gowdy had em true my wheels and buy tubes etc... they mostly deal in TREK, but have some Giants and various others. Then I have another shop here that deals moslty in specialized. Bicycle Station Cheyenne Wyoming Premier Bike Shop

Looking through their list it looks like for 600 dollars I would still end up having to upgraded forks etc.... See what you guys think if you get a minute. I should probably tell you Im a diy'er, auto, hvac, electrical, furniture, woodworking.....partly because I like it and moslty because Im cheap!

This is my current bike. stand over height is 30.5". As far as geomatry goes Im clueless as to what measurements make a MTB so here you go!
Seat tube length - Center to Top 17.5in
Top Tube Length - (Horizontal) 23in
Top Tube Length - (Actual) 23in
Chainstay Length
459mm
Bottom Bracket Height - Low Setting 292mm
Seat Tube Angle (angle) - Low Setting 74°
Head Tube Angle - Low Setting 69.5
Wheel Base 1121mm
Standover Height 779mm
Head Tube Height 100mm
Stack 618mm
Reach 417mm
Ground-Top 910mm

·
Registered
973 Posts
did you get a chance to look at or better yet, ride the Trek Gary Fisher Marlin?...it has a very basic beginner mtb spec, but you could do worse but @ $689, it could be a good fit for your new adventures, and you have a LBS to assist. It is a 29er, which could be a plus, depending on the trails you intend to ride. I would just suggest that the fork and brakes are just adequate, but that should be fine at this point...let us know what you are up to

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, still looking. Just can't justify spending that kind of money for something that needs upgrades right of the floor. Been checking Craigslist alot though. Seems like everyone that rides MTB are giants, they all have freakishly tall XL frames on the good deals. Did go hit a little offroading on the motobecane, about the only thing I don't like it about it is......20 mph hitting the rough, my back end just wont stay glued down like I'd like. Would a full suspension even cure this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't say I'm struggling with 689$, I would however say I'm struggling finding the value........when I exchange my life energy for money, then trade my money for object x versus y; I want maximum returns of my life energy which then equals better gains in overall happiness. lol 689 for a bike that is just hair "better" than my current bike (and would need some future upgrades) just doesn't seem like a good return for the exchange of my finite hours left. Just want a maximum return, thinking Bikes Direct and craigslist is the most cost efficient method. Now as far as getting the right size goes; when I originally measured and compared geometry for my current bike, I selected the size that would provide the most efficient pedaling in town, while leaving me some wiggle room for the occasional offroad. Now I realize more offroad=more fun. How much stand over height do you guys have on your bikes?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Stick to a hardtail, for your budget you'll get a lot more bike. What are your thoughts on single speed? that's another big money saver.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed 29er Mountain Bikes

^this guy gets pretty decent reviews over on the SS forum, and will leave you with some extra cash for upgrades, like a half decent fork and brakes. You could get a used RockShox Recon Gold TK, surly SS cog (to change your gearing), and some SLX hydraulic brakes from Ebay and have a pretty trail worthy machine.

·
Stand-up philosopher
681 Posts
How much stand over height do you guys have on your bikes?
None. My boys straddle the top bar. I have short legs and a long torso. The top tube length is far more important, regardless of your height. If you wreck going forward off of the saddle, you are going to hit the back of the stem, not the top tube.

--
Stephen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
None. My boys straddle the top bar. I have short legs and a long torso. The top tube length is far more important, regardless of your height. If you wreck going forward off of the saddle, you are going to hit the back of the stem, not the top tube.

--
Stephen
That's what I like to hear. I have 2" clearance between warvels and bar, but didn't know how you professional MTB guys are setup. With that information I'd feel pretty good about my current setup after a new shock and pedal. Only issue I've had sofar is feet slipping off pedals and the front shock's metal to metal sound when bottoming out. Looks like I can get pretty decent deals on nice used shocks on ebay, need to go measure my current tube length. 600$ bucks would buy a nice shock and pedals

·
Stand-up philosopher
681 Posts
I'm no pro..just a fat guy riding a bike.

To stick with platform pedals, just get some with pins, mg1 pedals are cheap and work well, and get some 5.10 shoes. The freerider shoes are around $60 frequently.

--
Stephen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.