Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping and ordering Ti/Al bolts for the bike and I am still looking for M8 x 55mm (SHCS - not tapered). I found M8 x 60mm and will give this a shot but thought I'd let the experts make some suggestions.

Also is anyone using Aluminum for cable pinch bolts or are you guys using Ti?

Trey

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Asahi said:
I have been shopping and ordering Ti/Al bolts for the bike and I am still looking for M8 x 55mm (SHCS - not tapered). I found M8 x 60mm and will give this a shot but thought I'd let the experts make some suggestions.

Also is anyone using Aluminum for cable pinch bolts or are you guys using Ti?

Trey
I can't help you if you don't want tapered, but thought i'd post to ask - why not tapered?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's going to replace an M8 x 55mm bolt on my Racer X lower shock mount. The current bolt is not tapered and I'd prefer the replacement not be tapered either. Why would I want tapered if the original isn't?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Asahi said:
It's going to replace an M8 x 55mm bolt on my Racer X lower shock mount. The current bolt is not tapered and I'd prefer the replacement not be tapered either. Why would I want tapered if the original isn't?
Tapered is lighter, as there is a tiny bit less material. Also, 60mm is fine, just trim it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you implying? Less material shouldn't be stronger and Ti shouldn't be much stronger than Ti, So why use less Ti? Is a tapered bolt appropriate for a shock mount bolt?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
SH config. is cheaper. That's a good enough reason for me.:D Also, I like the industrial look of the SH bolts better. Redmist sells some really cool looking SH Ti M5x12mm bolts that are black. They look sweet on the Syntace stem.
Al pinch bolts work well for me. Ti is manditory on the stem and SP clamp only, IMO.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Asahi said:
Less material shouldn't be stronger and Ti shouldn't be much stronger than Ti
Wanna try that one again? :skep: Ti should be exactly the same strength as ..... Ti. :D

If, perhaps, you meant to compare steel against ti, then you need look no further then the tensile strength of each material. Even the best grade's of steel commonly used for fasteners barely match that of the lowest grade (commercially pure) titanium. Guess what? Your frame, whatever it is, more than likely won't have these better grade's of steel fasteners.

The strength of ti is greater than steel, therefore you can use less of it and at the very least, match that of a steel counterpart. The tapered portion of the bolt head won't pose any problems with strength or longevity on ANY bike part.

For what little it's probably worth - my Proflex, Noleen Crosslink fork, San Andreas and NRS all use tapered SHCS's for suspension fasteners and i've never had a problem. :thumbsup:

Your bike - your rules.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup meant steel. for the most part I prefer the appearance and would prefer not to have to trim the length but will see how that works. Just figured the WW's here would know where to look for a more obscure length

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.