Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
y'know, recently ive been riding in some gnarbot rocky trails in la jolla and they own me like a frikken slave. anybody got some magic moves up their sleeves in order to dominate the piles of homicidal rocks?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Scott the Biker said:
y'know, recently ive been riding in some gnarbot rocky trails in la jolla and they own me like a frikken slave. anybody got some magic moves up their sleeves in order to dominate the piles of homicidal rocks?
my tip is to lean back slightly on the bike...

question: where in la jolla is this, cause i live in encinitas and id love to go ride some new trails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry

I know to keep weight off the front, sorry for not clarifying that I knew the basics. I just wanted some pointers on how to clean difficult sections. i am not sure if im allowed to reveal the location as of yet, seeing as there was some guy named kalan riding there.

·
kona-tize me captain
3,117 Posts
stay loose and pay attention, mainly stay focussed.pick the cleanest lines through the trails.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys might know my brother, coma13, so if you want to ride with him, youre probably gonna ride with me too

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
-Faster is better
-Stay loose, dont deathgrip the handlebars
-Jump the big ones.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
It all depends on the rock garden's size...and steepness. If they're small point and shoot with loose arms and legs...stay focused. If humongous boulders (Cough...Northstar) then I usually weave through them. Trying to ride over them....usualyl DOESNT work out (Took me ONCE to learn that)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i may be doing the deathgrips because i ride dirtbikes. when you have a couple horsepower pulling away from you, holding on the bars is a task, but with dh bikes i see that theres a lot less pulling

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Look for a path. That may sound crazy at first, but there always seems to be a less "pointy" line through a rock garden. Obviously you shouldn't be steering and changing course all over the place while trying to hit this smoother and flatter part of the garden, because you want to maintain decent momentum, but try to hit the less jagged and jumbled rock whenever possible. You have to look some distance ahead to plan your move and look for this "better" line through a garden. Also look for the places on the line through the garden that appear to be more settled into the ground or dirt. These are usually more firm to support the bike without constantly trying to roll and shoot out from beneath your tires.

You already are aware of proper positioning on the bike. Maintain as much momentum as possible in as high a gear as possible. Trying to pick that line I described lets you pedal through the garden a little better without worry of banging crank arms into rocks that are sticking up. When you can't avoid the areas with the taller rocks, time your pedal strokes to avoid rock contact. Try to do as much course alteration by leaning rather than cranking on the bar. Turning the bar very much in rock gardens is asking for the front wheel to catch a rock at a bad angle and causing a train wreck.

Now...throw some water on those rocks to make it really interesting...LOL!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
tuck down low......concentrate on breating (so you are not holding your breath and freezing up) use the brakes as less as possible....keep your speed

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Hahahahaha yeah Scott! You coulda just asked me in person ya know! There's a lot of good advice in this thread, basically you just need to keep momentum, keep your center of gravity low, and let the bike feed itself through the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have one sacred rule of trail riding:
THOU SHALT NOT DAB!....
When goin fast and you see a hairy section coming up, compress the bike and let it rebound just before the rocks. Get your weight slightly back and "float" over it. Your natural reaction will be to get on the brakes but you can roll over things you would never expect.
I do alot of technical trail riding (ok, that's about all I do) and I use my brakes alot when traversing extremely hairy sections- with short drops, ledges, etc where you have to pick your way down. You can use your brakes to stall, load you bike, and "spring" over obstacles.
Funny, everyone gets all amped about big drops, but a 3 footer from a standtill to a stalled landing is a hell'uva lot harder.
If you really want to learn to ride tech, you need to go ride with Hoser in Chula Vista. That dude was my mentor when we lived in SD...he's nearly fifty and will still kick your ass.

·
BGR / MCM #311
838 Posts
Do it like this dude....

I think he's a pro or something ;) ...and teaches the rock garden deficiant great technique...

His best advice to me concerning rock gardens was: walk the line before you hit it (if you can), hit it with SPEED, keep your ass back, your arms loose, and allow the bike to move under you while you keep your torso vertical....he calls this "bike/body seperation". Also, slide your brake levers in so that you're braking with your index fingers ONLY..this keeps the middle fingers on the bars for better control.

Visit his site...he's gotta be one of the coolest most approachable pros I've ever met:
mad march racing

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Look at your exit, not your front wheel, maintain some momentum and keep your suspension squishy.

I love watching people go flying through rocks and you never see their swingarms move on a 9 inch travel bike..

·
Registered
710 Posts
You totally have to use the bike like a snowboard or ski. Whip it all over the place to keep you body in one spot, don't fight the bike and through your body around trying to keep the bike upright.

·
Registered
710 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
THAT ROCK GARDEN YOU JUMP OVER
Not even a rock garden. IMO a rock garden has to be over 50 feet long, or long enough that it can't be manualed or jumped.

THAT sir, is a rock PLANTER BOX!

Rock garden are for men, planter boxxes are for old ladies in retirement homes.. :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts