Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a wheel and was hoping to get some suggestions on spoke lengths, rim choice and type of spoke.

I will be building up a 29er SS wheel, 3x, 32h w/ a Hope SS Pro II hub.

The rims I was planning on using was the Velocity VXC 29er. I currently am riding a ZTR Arch 29er and have been fairly happy with it so far. I did manage to dent the sidewall slightly when running tubeless with way to low air pressure. I've only had to true it very slightly in the 1.5 years I've had it.

I weigh about 170 with gear and do exclusively XC. Rooty drops here and there never more than a foot. Don't want a WW wheel like the 355. But also don't want a AM wheel like the Blunt/Flow. Does anyone have experience with the VXC rim? Has anyone tried running it tubeless? Running the Arch tubeless has been no problem at all with a few different tires.

The length that Spocalc is spitting out for this combination (assuming I went with the VXC) is 292.1/292.4 for the left and right, respectively. Should I round both of these to 292 and just buy all the spokes the same length? Anyone care to check my calculations or have the dimensions of the the Hope Hub? (The hope website seems to be spitting out the same info for across the pro II line, but since this is the SS hub shouldn't it have different dimensions??)

Does anyone have suggestions on which spokes to get comp, rev, champion?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for looking into this. I used the numbers off of the notubes.com website. 293mm, i went with Arch rims b/c cambria bikes had them for 25% off. Still wondering about which spokes to get!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Only thing I can tell you is the wheel builds up dishless, so you should be using the same length spokes for both sides, UNLESS you're using 2 different patterns i.e. 3X and radial. length will depend on what rim you settle on.

Can't help you with the rest of the question as I'm running them with Flows and SUPER happy :D I built mine up with the intent of running it on a 29er to get a dishless wwheel for more strength and to use gears on it - fits a standard PG990 or XT cassette carier with the pinned gears = 6.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.