Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I am planning to build an indestructable and almost maintenance free touring hardtail bike with 26" wheels and as much sealed bearings as possible.
I am about 90 Kg (~198,5 pounds) but i want to reduce it with 5-10 (or more) kilos.

Already have:
  • Magellan Crux aluminium frame (it is a Hungarian frame with limited painting, and this brand used in competition)
  • Deore XT chain/cassette sprocket/deraileurs/shifters/crankset

I want to equip it with Avid BB7 mech disc brakes with Avid Speed Dial 7 and the following wheelset:
  • Mavic '12 XM 119 Disc rims
  • Novatec DO41SB (front)/ DO42SB (rear) hub
  • DT Champion spokes

Do you recommend straight spokes instead of regular ones?

I am totally unsure about the fork. Maybe i will buy a Rock Shox Tora. Is this good enough for this bike? I think I do not need air suspension and remote lock-out.

I know, there is no such thing as maintenance free bike but i want an extremely reliable bike to ride in long distances on asphalt and dirt road and mud on plain and hills below 1000 m (3280 feet). By the way, what tire do you recommend and what size?
What do you think, what are the weakest links?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I personally like your thinking of limited maintenance required, but I can tell you this comes at a cost. Bombproof maintenance free drivetrain, simple. Go singlespeed. Cheap maintenance free fork, go rigid. Personally on the brakes I have found a good set of hydraulics like shimanos to require less maintenance than mechanicals, because of the floating brake pads that adjust themselves. Tires I prefer tubeless with a faster rolling design but that's a very personal recommendation and you may find tubeless to be too much maintenance for your needs. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I also have a steel rigid fork with disc brake mount, I'll give a try with that.

I plan another bike project in the future: 100% offroad bike with "big wheels", carbon rigid fork and carbon drive belt. (I think then the frame will be the biggest question mark.)

I really need derailleurs, maybe I am not so tough. I do not think about the less maintenance in the first place when it comes to SS vs. gears but less weight and more direct drive.

In fact I am not afraid of mending the bike, but I want to choose the simplest options. E.g.: it is easier to carry a pair of spare brake cable than a bleeding kit. Maybe I will improve later to hydraulics. (I do not have any experience with disc brakes yet and I want to go step-by-step)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts