Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so enjoying my new FS 29er that I'm thinking of getting a hardtail as well. I just converted to FS 26 a year ago, and immediatly sold off all hardtails in the garage. Now I'm really digging the 29er, and all the 26" bikes sit in the garage.

Some questions for those in the know...how much of a ride difference between 26 and 29 hardtail's? The 26" hardtails beat the tar out of me, but I've heard that the 29" wheels take some of the edge off since there is more meat on your typical 29" tire. Is this a fable?

If its not a fable, and there is a much better ride quality... which frame to go with?

I ride mostly XC in the midwest where things are tight in the trees, some rocks and roots, not much in the way of drops. I'm not into SS, so I want something geared. Also looking at 72 degrees or so on the head angle. And since I ride XC, light is right.

So far I've found a few frames to match what I think I'd like: Niner air9 or sir9 and Salsa Dos Niner. I've been leaning towards the air9, but the '06 Salsa frames are on the cheap right now. I can't find Niner products discounted anywhere.

The FS 29er is working out just fine, perhaps I should just be happy with what I've got and quit drooling all over the other toys?! :confused:

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
I have a Paragon, it's been really good to me.

Lots of my ride partners have Niners (Sir9) I've test ridden. I wish I had one.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
A 29er HT would've been ideal for all of the trails I've ridden in the midwest. Thee is a noticeable difference over a 26" HT. If you're worried about a harsh ride, then get that sir9 you've been checking out. It's quite forgiving.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
A 29" HT will ride better than a 26" because of increased tire size. You can smooth the ride even more with a quality steel frame.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
Check out the Astrix Rook. Only $499 retail & the geo is around where you are looking for. Astrix is a great company, I love my Monk and have heard nothing but good reviews of the Rook.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of good feedback folks, I appreciate it.

The Fisher's seem like a good value, but I'm not sold on their geometry.
The Astrix Rook looks like a good option. Nice price, nice geo.
Had my eye on the air9 and sir9, but I'm starting to think that the mcr9 may be a better choice than the sir9 since I don't do singlespeed.

Saw someone posted a new 29er HT from Felt. Like the geo, decent price for the "pro" setup and is under 26#. Gotta be a way to get this around 24#.

So looks like I need to figure out if Scandium would be close enough to steel in ride quality to go with a light frame. Going Ti would be great, but justifying the extra coin for a Ti frame is hard to swallow.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
You should probably come up with a budget first, then this forum can really help narrow it down to the best choices. Frame only? Complete bike? Many of these frames / bikes can be sub 25 pounds easily, but to go 24 pounds and below will take some coin.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do the niner.

I have a Gary Fisher X-Cal.
Its a good frame with good parts but the wheel set sucks.
28 spoke light weight hub with a whimpy cross rim.
I put on a good set of rims and tires on it and the front der doesn't clear the rear tire.

I love the whole "niner" line of bikes!

If for no other reason they are a totally cool company.
New start company up doing only 29ers.
Killer colors.
Hip theme and their frames are top knotch and reasonable on the price side.
I am switching my GF parts over to a One 9 asap.

If you do the SIR 9 you get it all:
Steel frame, great geomerty, geared or SS (if you want to try that out later) and the frame is under 800 bucks
EMD frame only 500 bucks (thats less than a used frame!!!)
You pick the parts or part out another bike and boom you've got a nice bike custom fit to you from a company that is out to prove 29ers are real.

·
Bike Nutt
39 Posts
Get the Niner...

I'll throw my vote for the Niner Air-9 into the mix. I am a devoted "steel is real" kind of rider and went with the Air-9 on a gamble to try and shed a little weight. (was riding a KM) I am very happy with my decision. The ride of the Scandium frame is very plush, but light and stiff at the same time. The geometry is dead on perfect. Could use a little shorter chain stay, but I think this is more a factor of me getting used to riding the frame compared to my KM. Build quality is superb. Paint color is killer and will hold up well. I'll echo the comment about great customer service. They answered all my questions very quickly and honestly. Sounds like this is what you might be looking for. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don't forget the Redline Monocog Flight. $899 gets you a complete 29er (rigid). It comes SS, but is brazed for gears too. I'm holding out till March when they release the Flight as a complete 1X9, since that's all the gearing I tend to use.

Sojo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.