Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally making the switch from QR to a 20mm on my Diamondback mission 3 with 6 inches of rear travel. I have been running a minute 1 set at 130 mm travel. I got a pike 409 coil u-turn.

My question is what lightish wheels do you all run? I have been running Rhyno Lite XL's for 2 seasons now and love them. I am thinking of just getting a 20 mm hub and a new Rhyno lite XL to build up. But I wanted to check what others are riding before I buy.

Also I am a aggressive rider, and super d racer so no light XC rims, because I will kill them in a hurry.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I have always been a Mavic fan, however recently picked up a set of I9 / DT swiss 5.1. Am loving this setup. A tad on the pricey side, yes, but easily the best wheelset I have ever owned (even better then my Kings). Nice thing about the I9 hubs is you can convert them quickly from QR/20mm if you ever have the need. I believe the hope bulbs are like that as well?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Check out the Azonic Outlaw wheelset.

They're certainly not the lightest, but I'll be damned if they haven't stood up to the serious abuse I've put them through. I also run relatively low air pressure in my tires, and I've never gotten a pinch flat. And so far, they've only needed to be trued once, and even then they weren't that bad. The Outlaw wheelset is also really well priced for what you get.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've been running Hope's lace to DT5.1 on the front and a Hadley Hub on the rear. Love both, but I have to admit the Hadley craftmanship is a little better than the Hope (and more expensive).

Plus Hadley has great customer service. I had rotor bolt seize in place and Haldey replaced the hub shell for around $50 and shipped it back out in 2 days. Great company.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Azonic Outlaws are the best in the "bang for the buck" category ($270/set). I've had mine for about 10 months and they're still true after some considerable abuse. The one failure I have witnessed was due to carelessness - friend was still able to ride it out (about 4 - 5 miles of technical downhill). To top that off, he then sent the wheel back to Azonic and received a replacement within 8 -10 days. If that's not enough, check the three color combos they offer. . . sweet!

That's a quadruple or quintiple on the Outlaws. . . :rockon:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Hope ProII/DT 5.1 is the combo of the year. Cheap as hell, too. You can convert them between qr and 20, yes.
crisillo said:
2nd that..love my set! :thumbsup:
3rd this one. My set is holding up great to the abuse my clyde weight dishes out. And lack of finesse :thumbsup: Plus gotta love that freehub sound.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I did a little research last night. I can get Sun ST8 track wheels or Sun SUV wheels for about the same price. I appreciate all your suggestions but for some reason I really like sun ringle. They seem to last.

So what do you think?

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I have a set of SUV's on my Highline. Decent wheel set, 2100g IIRC. Loud hub.

I'm a big fan of Hadleys but Hopes are a little lighter and a little cheaper but not quite the engagement of the Hadleys.

The 5.1 rims are quite sweet and when matched up with high-end hubs and spokes you can build a very strong wheel set under 1900g.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.