Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I would love suggestions for products to offer on Zinn's Big and Tall Bike shop. I want it to be a place where you can find the components you need easily to make your bike work better for you. Please let me know what products are out there that you like and feel are good for big and tall riders. (ie: handlebars, stems, tires, helmets, shocks, forks, clothes, etc. etc.)

Thanks for your help.
[email protected]

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
How about tall jerseys with some style? XXLT :thumbsup:

That would rock. Sick of seeing just the little people with the fun on Primals and some of the other jerseys. Pearl Izumi has a very limited selection, but they fit.

Really lacking in the taller folk "decent" clothing category, but we're used to that.:madman:

Shorts/Baggies
Long Pants/Winter Clothes...

The other "part" stuff is easy.

Forks. I got my 6" travel 29er fork myself. (Thanks Alex!!)
WTB is the seat for me
Stems and seat posts = Thomson
blah blah blah..

really need a place that sells quality and good looking tall stuff.
What I've seen (besides Pearl) looks mostly Walmart-ish....and embarrassing.

oh and make it affordable.
$140 for a jersey. No Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Adjust your prices.

I am 6'10" and look at your website allot. Im with the last guy on jerseys. Also it would be nice if it didn't cost 3 times what its worth. Also I have always been able to find stuff cheaper at other venders (can't find clothes at all). Competitive pricing would be nice. Us tall guys get screwed everywhere else it would be nice if would could catch a break somewhere. :thumbsup:

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Yep, some tall guys can actually do push-ups and pull-ups and may not need a 3x waist but a do need a 2x chest and tall length. Zinn prices tend to not be competitive. Everyone has to make a buck but customers have to save one. I'll actually pay a premium for "fun/silly/stupid" jersey graphics like some of the Izumi (Sesame St, etc) or Primal ones, but solid color or simple multi-color ones don't need to cost >$45. I can get them local for less.

Truly bigger than big helmets are not super easy to find. I know Bell makes some. Folks with feet larger than 14 often look for help. Those seem to be two common "help me" things can can be truly frustrating for folks.

Brock...

·
slow uphill
570 Posts
...and 14 is stretching it in terms of selection at most places. I'm at 14, and can bounce around from store to online shop to find stuff... but doesn't seem like too many places stock a wide range of >12 size shoes.

clothing is the big item. Take any jersey on the market and add 3" in length. A wide selection of shorts beyond "Hoss Ponderosa" and "Hoss Ponderosa private label" would be nice too. The cut doesn't work for me.

As for price - an aggregation of clearance big items would be nice. IE a shop in CA I went to recently had a whole table of shoes for $20/each. But, I don't know what they had above a Euro 43. It was their closeout stuff - trying to make room. Would be nice if an online seller went to a swathe of bike shops and said - give me all of your unwanted XXL+ and Euro 46+ stuff and you'll get a % of what we sell. Then sell it for 20 cents on the dollar. Give us a decent clearance section!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks

Thanks for the input guys. the jersey's we sell are absolutely top quality. Made by squadra. You'll know why they cost what they do when you get it and it doesn't wear out in one season of hard riding. I think my next phase of clothing is to get tights and then offer a lesser expensive option for everything. However, the squadra stuff is really worth the money, i can assure you. It's made with a great material and the quality of production and the sublimation printing is better than anything else we have seen. The quality blows pearl izumi out of the water. Lennard has every brand of clothing in his closet and these are surely the best. I think the price is very reasonable for the level of quality you get. Especially when our jersey will last 5 times as long as a $50 jersey would. It's also more comfortable than any of the other jersey materials we have tried.

With that said, I certainly agree that it would be beneficial to offer items in the $50-100 range. I have some other ideas for clothes to add as we go along, and I appreciate your suggestions. I will also get the other parts you guys suggested up there.

As far as the baggy shorts suggestion: here is the link to our baggies : http://zinncycles.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=product&id=28&parent=0

we also have knickers. The baggies are made by Hoss, but longer than their normal sizes. so you know they are sweet, comfortable, and durable. I can't ride with anything else.

SHOES: There aren't too many options in large sizes. We have the lakes that are available up to size 50. I have searched high and low for other options, but they are few and far between. We are also going to offer custom shoes, but of course those aren't cheap. here is the link to the lake shoes: http://zinncycles.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=11&pg=1
unfortunately they are road shoes and not MTB. I am trying to find something for us Mountain bikers.

Also, over time I am working on getting some more affordable full suspension bikes in larger sizes. Please keep your eye on the store for that.
On pricing: If you look at other products of the same quality, you will find that our prices are right on. You can get a fully custom titanium bike from us for less than you'd pay for some specialized or trek high end carbon bike. And that is our most expensive option. I can also guarantee that a titanium bike designed by Lennard Zinn will be a much better bike than some Trek off the assembly line, and it will fit and last you forever. I do understand that our bikes are expensive, but they are also the best in the world, and the prices are completely fair for the quality. Of course I know that not everyone can afford our stuff. We are always trying to find ways to make quality big and tall bikes and components that will be more affordable. We have some stock road bike ideas and large full suspension 29er ideas to reach a lower budget. I have also started a trade in program for past zinn customers to upgrade to a newer bike and trade in their old bike. That way I can have a larger variety of used bikes.

Overall, I have listened to all of you over the last few years and we are taking all of your suggestions into account. After all, you are the ones we are working to get as Zinn customers. It's just important for you to understand how difficult it is to make stock bikes that fit into a more affordable price point for such a small niche market. The only way to get bikes to cost less, is if you make a bunch of them. That is a hard thing to do for a small company in a small niche. We are working on it though!

Thanks,
Nick

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
ImaKlyde said:
Yep, some tall guys can actually do push-ups and pull-ups and may not need a 3x waist but a do need a 2x chest and tall length. Zinn prices tend to not be competitive. Everyone has to make a buck but customers have to save one. I'll actually pay a premium for "fun/silly/stupid" jersey graphics like some of the Izumi (Sesame St, etc) or Primal ones, but solid color or simple multi-color ones don't need to cost >$45. I can get them local for less.

Truly bigger than big helmets are not super easy to find. I know Bell makes some. Folks with feet larger than 14 often look for help. Those seem to be two common "help me" things can can be truly frustrating for folks.

Brock...
I love my Count Dracula and Dragon Jersys from Pearl. They actually fit and do last. I get the most compliments on m Count Dracula. I always wear it when biking with my kids.
It rocks!
$80.

Wished there was more stuff, longer that fit.

Shoes are tough. Can't get those online but have a few LBS that can order stuff in in Euro 48 or 49.
I'm a 14/15 depending on the shoe.

Yep, Hoss stuff doesn't fit me either, even at 3XL. Must be a European sized or something.

yes, the plain, bland, boring solid jersies are a joke to be $45-$50+. I'd rather pay the extra coin and get something fun.

Do write in/email Pearl. They are very receptive to going with larger/longer sized stuff.
As they are now distributing more 2XL sized stuff.
Need more contact/requests from us in order to get the "tall" sized stuff rolled out.
2XLT or 3XLT would be freakin awesome.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't have that many problems finding clothing, but large shoes and helmets would definitely get my attention! It would be nice to be able to choose from a range of those without having to search all over, most places will have only 1-2 choices at most for those in larger sizes.

I tried several LBS's before I just got a Bell Triton online (which was a lot cheaper than most helmets I was looking at, but at least it fits).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.