Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ill be comming to ruidoso eary jan to spend a few days of vacation.
Looking to stay in cabin close to fishing, hiking, and trail riding
novice riders so nothing to technical.

any suggestions on places to stay or trails to check out ?

thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll be in Ruidoso next weekend, as well as one week towards the end of March. Apart from what was mentioned here, are there any trails within Ruidoso? I'll be staying at a cabin somewhere in the Cedar Creek area, and in March will be staying in the Alto area. Ideally I'd like to be able to ride from the cabin to the start of the trail. This isn't really a "mountain biking trip" so I'm just looking to get a nice 15-20 mile ride in somewhere (including commute). Anybody know where? I'd be willing to drive 20 miles away if it's really worth it.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Unfortunately, one of the nicer trails, Perk Canyon, was all but destroyed with the torrential rains that rolled through last summer.

If it's not too out of the way for you go check out Fort Stanton. There is a nice map at the p-lot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Aw man, Perk canyon was first on my list too.

So is the spaghetti bowl area still around, and how about Spring Canyon? That sounds like a nice, short, downhill commute from where I'm staying (east Alto). Ft. Stanton also sounds like a short drive.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Last time I was there I stuck around the Cedar Creek area. For something "in town" it's still a lot of fun to ride. Call Boneshaker Cyclery at 575-257-6784 they are really helpful regarding trail knowledge. They did mention last summer that work was going to begin on cleaing up Perk but didn't know exactly when. FWIW...Those folks out there have a good thing going with the forrest service too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fire danger. The last two years the rangers have not allowed people into the forest. That means bikes,hikes what ever. The town is open. In Cloudcroft the only spot to camp is in silver camp ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.