Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I recently got a used 2006 Marin Rock Springs, and have gone through most of the parts and systems. While trying to bleed the brakes, I ran into some issues. Let me preface this with I have been a motorcycle guy for decades and always work on my own motorcycles. I had a shop go through the derailleurs and some other components, and I would handle the brakes myself.

Of course, I made a rookie mistake, not knowing the way the diaphragms work, and ended up tearing the plug/bleed port. I called my local shop, and they said they would not have anything that old. I figure it would be a good time to upgrade to a newer set up.

Not looking to spend a ton of money, I am looking for some suggestions to change out the systems. The discs look ok, and I believe are a 160 mm in rear and a 180mm on the front.

BTW...this is something I am looking at for replacements:
https://amzn.to/2KPnRDi

One other thing, in regards to the bleed. I used a Hayes syringe bleeding system, and bled the front no problem. When I went to the rear, no matter how far I opened the bleed screw on caliper, I could not get it to positive pressure bleed. In other words, it would not let me push the fluid from the syringe into the caliper and system. Was I doing something wrong, or was something wrong with the caliper??

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

If you want to see more about the bikes, please feel free to check them out on my youtube channel and instagram: www.youtube.com/dougz73

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I was running a set of those M315 brakes on a beater bike for pub rides and such, they work pretty well but they are way weaker than the XT/XTR level stuff I run on my MTBs. I would say Deore is the lowest level to run on a bike that is going to see real trails, and that SLX would be my suggestion for performance vs. cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies and suggestions.

I was looking into getting parts to fix Hayes system, but the parts I need seem hard to come by. I was able to hoble back together the front system, using the diaphragm from the rear. And I was able to bleed it again. I'll check later today to make sure its not leaking.

Looking into the various Shimano XT/XTR systems now.

Any ideas why I would have had issues bleeding the rear? Clogged bleed screw?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for replies and suggestions.

I was looking into getting parts to fix Hayes system, but the parts I need seem hard to come by. I was able to hoble back together the front system, using the diaphragm from the rear. And I was able to bleed it again. I'll check later today to make sure its not leaking.

Looking into the various Shimano XT/XTR systems now.

Any ideas why I would have had issues bleeding the rear? Clogged bleed screw?
It could be a clogged bleed screw, pretty easy to check.

Shimano doesn't really offer rebuild kits on their brakes, so if that's something you would like you'll want to look elsewhere for brakes. If you want mineral oil and rebuildable trp is worth looking at, and they use Shimano pads, so they are easy to find.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
There are lots of options for complete brake sets. I like to make Euro purchases for the cost:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/disc-brake-sets-272?l=24&o=preis

Working on mtb brakes isn't the same as MC brakes. Most mtb brakes use diaphragms so bleeding is usually reversed and the levers need proper orientation. Also one little bubble may do little in larger systems but MTB is magnified. I always suggest to use the printed manufactures bleeding / repair guidelines for their brakes.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Id recommend shimano deore, slx, or xt. Even if you did find replacement parts for the Hayes, the brake calipers and seals eventually do wear out and start to leak. Hayes from that era tend to be high quality, but they have seen 15 years of use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, everyone, once again, I appreciate all of the feedback. So, I think this is my plan. Let me know if you think it is a good one.

I am going to buy this system Shimano XT BL-M8000 brake set up for the rear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKY3MA...=FNX4IFB4W72C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

And this bleed kit set so I can cut the line a bit, as it seems a tad long compared to what I took off:

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Hydr...ing-goods&sprefix=shimano,sporting,147&sr=1-3

Since I have the Hayes system working on the front, and since I have two brand new sets of pads for them( one of which I just installed), I'd like to get my my use out of them.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
So, everyone, once again, I appreciate all of the feedback. So, I think this is my plan. Let me know if you think it is a good one.

I am going to buy this system Shimano XT BL-M8000 brake set up for the rear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKY3MA...=FNX4IFB4W72C&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

And this bleed kit set so I can cut the line a bit, as it seems a tad long compared to what I took off:

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-Hydr...ing-goods&sprefix=shimano,sporting,147&sr=1-3

Since I have the Hayes system working on the front, and since I have two brand new sets of pads for them( one of which I just installed), I'd like to get my my use out of them.

Thoughts??
Seems like a good plan. Yes the hose will be extra long and is meant to be trimmed. You can cut with any sharp knife as long as you do it pretty close to 90*.

If you buy the brake direct thru competitive cyclist right now, you will get an extra 10% off... just FYI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems like a good plan. Yes the hose will be extra long and is meant to be trimmed. You can cut with any sharp knife as long as you do it pretty close to 90*.

If you buy the brake direct thru competitive cyclist right now, you will get an extra 10% off... just FYI
Thanks. I just ordered. Took a bit to get the 10%, but I got it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got the XT brake set up today, and installed in all of two minutes. They are Swweeeeeet!!. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and advice.

Like many do, the line is too long and will need to be trimmed at the lever. I have seen about 5-6 videos of this procedure. However, I did not get the yellow line clamp thingamajig. As you can from the picture, I got the standard spare insert and olive, and the third thing circled. Forgive my noobness, but what is this? Does it replace the yellow thing I have seen in vids??

If it is not, any suggestions on how to hold line without the yellow thingamajig??

Silver Still life photography Transparency

Cable Electronic device Technology Wire Electrical supply

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
That round clip goes on the brake caliper fixing bolts as a safety measure to keep it from completely unscrewing in the event it came loose.

Do you have access to basic wood working tools? You could drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood, then cut it in half to create a makeshift clamp block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That round clip goes on the brake caliper fixing bolts as a safety measure to keep it from completely unscrewing in the event it came loose.

Do you have access to basic wood working tools? You could drill a hole in a piece of scrap wood, then cut it in half to create a makeshift clamp block.
OK, thanks. I just ordered the yellow gizmo, and will have it by Friday. Not riding bike before then anyway. $8, easy peasy. Thanks Joe/George??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.