Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr. Lurker
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build up a hardtail; already have almost all the components from my Trek Fuel EX7 FS 29er. At this time, I am planning on the Pipedream Moxie Long (5.7 lbs). I don't expect this to be an ultra-lite bike, however, it would be nice if I could get it under 25 lbs. Not sure if this is doable, and how much $$ it would take.

My FS was 29 lbs complete; looking to see where I can lose some weight on the new build. It will be a 2x10 sans the front derailleur.

Existing bike:
Trek Fuel EX7 2x10 (29 lbs)
Frame 6.64 lbs (3011g)
Front 29er wheel 4.3 lbs (1950g) w/tire/rotor Stans Crest
Rear 29er wheel 5.9 lbs (2676g) w/cassette/tire/rotor Stans Crest
Fork - Fox
Crankset SLX 73mm bottom bracket (I think)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Why would you buy a heavy, slack steel hardtail and stick a rigid fork in it? IMO, that will be the only way you'll get that bike under 25lbs (for reference, my Ritchey frame weighs over 2lbs less than yours and sits at 23lbs even with a fairly conscientious weight-weenie build). The amount of weight you save over the suspension fork will not make up for the loss in the quality of the ride. The only place where you'll be faster is riding up gravel climbs.

Why not build a bike around the kind of terrain you want to enjoy riding (even if that means starting with a different frame)? If you're starting with a pig of a frame, spend money on saving weight where it will benefit you the most (i.e. wheels) and ignore the target weight if it means sacrificing miles and smiles.

BTW, you don't need to justify your rationale to me; it's your bike and I could care less. You asked for advice and my advice is to 'think about it' some more.

·
Mr. Lurker
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your comments. And, I probably should think about it some more.

I'm not dead-set on the Moxie. I just like what it offers in slack Geometry. I was looking at some other frames in (other post), however, I heard the alloy frames are not as forgiving. Heard they have a harsher ride; maybe that's not the case? And, I dont have the budget for a carbon hardtail; not many slack ones out there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

·
Mr. Lurker
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Mr. Lurker
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's what I am looking at right now.
Mfg - Model - Material - HTa - STa - kg - lbs - $$
Ragley Blue Pig steel 64 74 3kg 6.61lbs $500.00
Ragley MMMBOP alloy 64 74 2.15kg 4.74lbs $250.00
Pipedream Moxie steel 64 77.5 5.7lbs $800.00
Orange crush steel 64 73.5 $675.00

Orange crush looks like a pretty good deal. However, the Ragley MMMBOP is alloy.

How critical is the seat angle for the performance of the bike?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
93EXCivic, not sure what you mean by your last statement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Pipedream Moxie is built for a 140-160mm fork. The axle to crown (A-C length) measurement on a 29er 140mm fork is around 555mm. Most rigid forks are much shorter then this which will throw off the geometry.

·
Mr. Lurker
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it is more difficult to get the Moxie, so i'll probably go with the Orange Crush. Even though it's steel, the difference in weight is less than 2lbs. Probably worth it to get the flex of the steel frame.

But, then again, the cost is $675 for the Orange Crush and only $250 for Ragley MMMBOP alloy frame. Just wondering if its worth the savings to go with the alloy frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.