Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Dr. Pepper drinker
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just working on a bit of a project bike, it's a 2001 Trek 7000 that is basically stock. I've got a Yeti 575 for my do it all trailbike and the 7000 has turned into my urban ride. Any suggestions for what to add? I've thrown some flats on it and will be adding the 2.35 Maxxis Larsen DH tires when I find some lighter (and cheap) replacements to go on the Yeti. I'm not a hard core urban assault type but just want to make it a little more durable/comfortable for jumps and small drop(I know the frame is far from being big drop ready). Only thing I'm thinking for now is finding a cheapo riser bar to throw on and maybe a bashguard of some sort. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Evil 13 has lexan bashgaurd that are great for urban riding.
I love my Maxis Hookworm tires for urban rides and kamikazee kommuting- they are heavy, but the smooth tread is ideal for urban riding (check those trick BMX bikes) and its a real 2.5 casing that (thanks to the lack of nobs) will fit most any frame.

·
Ride on
642 Posts
Deja Vu

I also recently got a 575 and started turning my old hardtail, a Rockhopper, into an urban ride. Platform pedals are a good start.

Those Larsen TT DH tires will work fine for urban riding, but if they are made of the relatively soft ST rubber you'll wear them down rapidly, and they won't roll much faster on your hardtail than your 575. You might be better off with dedicated street tires. I ended up throwing some 2.3" Kenda K-rads on my bike; they were fairly cheap and they work great on pavement.

The riser bar is a good call. Risers are easy to find in your LBS and don't cost much. A shorter, stronger stem is another way to give you a better urban posture. The various online outlets usually have specials on stems if you aren't too picky. Your LBS will charge an arm and a leg for any stem strong enough for your intended use.

These fairly inexpensive upgrades will change the way your bike feels and make it more suitable for light urban usage. This can end up giving you upgradeitis pretty easily though. Your handlebar and stem will be so stiff that you might notice how weak and flexy your fork is. If you replace your fork (as I did) you will then notice how weak and flexy your wheels are :) I have already started looking around at burlier frame options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.