Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a new frame, and I am in the process of swapping parts over to it. However, I just found out that the headtube is longer, so my steerer tube is barely long enough. As it is I can fit a CK headset and Thomson stem with no spacers and the steerer tube is just barely long enough. In fact, I would feel better if I had another milimeter or two. At any rate, I need more rise than the Thomson stem offers. Normally when I want a high rise stem I use the Salsa MotoAce, but it has a massive stack height. I know FSA has low stack height stems, but they only come in low rise. I am looking for something like 40 degree rise +/-. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, well this is a Vicious Cycles rigid fork, so the steerer tube is not replaceable. I'll definitely check out the Dangerboy stems. They may be a bit short for my needs, but they're definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
gabe0807 said:
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a new frame, and I am in the process of swapping parts over to it. However, I just found out that the headtube is longer, so my steerer tube is barely long enough. As it is I can fit a CK headset and Thomson stem with no spacers and the steerer tube is just barely long enough. In fact, I would feel better if I had another milimeter or two. At any rate, I need more rise than the Thomson stem offers. Normally when I want a high rise stem I use the Salsa MotoAce, but it has a massive stack height. I know FSA has low stack height stems, but they only come in low rise. I am looking for something like 40 degree rise +/-. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
As long as the crown to axle height is ok and deosn't lower the front end too much, you could do what I did. I recently got a surly 1x1 fork which lowered the front of my bike (and my handlebar) about 1". So I switched to a 10 degree rise stem and a 2" riser bar. Feels great now.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gabe0807 said:
I second the Dimension stem.

You could also look at the Cane Creek headsets which generally have a lower stack height than the CK.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perfect! I saw the Dimension stems elsewhere, but I didn't know the stack height. I am going to swap the CK headset for the Cane Creek S2 on my other bike and purchase a Dimension stem. After I sell the Thomson stem I may even end up making a little money. Awesome, thanks everyone for your help. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.