Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an inflator tool to use with my air compressor. Primary use would be setting tubeless tires. Looking to use for double duty for auto tires. Something similar to Park INF-2 tool but less than $135.

Suggestions?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,077 Posts
Looking for an inflator tool to use with my air compressor. Primary use would be setting tubeless tires. Looking to use for double duty for auto tires. Something similar to Park INF-2 tool but less than $135.

Suggestions?
Here is my recommendation. I haven't used an air compressor or my "charger" pump in a few years now:

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,077 Posts
Or use a compressor.
Don't have one on the trail. Just for kicks, I demonstrated the above method with a hand-pump to my friend at the trailhead a few weeks back.

Plus, it's a lot less messy than using a compressor.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,077 Posts
How is a compressor messy?
The "max power" way of setting tires is generally more messy. If you don't need all that pressure...well then, you could have just used a floor pump.

· Premium Member
579 Posts
I've had a prestaflator for about 15 years. Well worth the $40(?) I paid for it when I got it.
Second the Presta Inflator, made by Presta Cycles. Have the quick connect adapter for shraeder valves and the heavy duty hose. Has lasted me 15 years without issue.
Thirded for the Prestaflator.

· off to ride
256 Posts
I’m waiting for a prestacycles presta head mini disc wheel adaptor to arrive tomorrow. I can screw it in to the blow gun tool for my compressor. I was using the schraeder adaptor and a regular ball chuck this week to set up my tubeless and it worked ok, but I thought for the price, this adaptor would get better contact. It was $17.

· off to ride
256 Posts
This is what I use. Seems like it would have the highest flow rate. Plus I add sealant through the stem so the core has to come out anyway.
Hmmm.. I didn't even think of using the blow gun this way. I added the sealant this way as well, seems the less messy way to go about it when learning. If the adaptor I bought doesn't work like I'm thinking it will, I'll try it this way.

· Registered
772 Posts
I use a $2 Schrader inflater that's been in my tool chest for years. Just throw a presta to Schrader adapter on the presta valve stem wait for the pops, don't overinflate. Then I set the pressure with the floor pump I use daily. Also works for car tires, then check and adjust with a pencil gauge. Won't even have $10 wrapped up into it.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,077 Posts
A simple air blower nozzle is best for seating tubeless tires. About $10.
Yes. Presta adapters and any tool that keeps the presta valve core in is generally a poor solution, as the restriction can keep the air from moving fast enough to seat the tire. One example is when your rim tape "sinks" into the spoke holes. On some rims, these are in just the right position to leave gaps when trying to seat a tire. Unless you have a lot of air you can push through there, it's not seating. If you are going to use an air compressor, a simple air blower nozzle is best. This is one of the Achilles Heel's of tubeless. Presta just doesn't flow enough air to assure seating in all situations. If it did, again, it wouldn't take an air compressor. I have work-arounds for these more extreme situations, but it would be better to not have them.

Reactions: jeremy3220

· Registered
847 Posts
All my tubeless tires are set up with shrader valves. I don't understand people using presta valves in the first place, unless you are running 16mm road rims. Presta valves should be considered a road bike technology like caliper brakes and drop bars.

· Registered
19,417 Posts
All my tubeless tires are set up with shrader valves. I don't understand people using presta valves in the first place, unless you are running 16mm road rims. Presta valves should be considered a road bike technology like caliper brakes and drop bars.
Because they're more commenly available and they work fine would be my guess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.