Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a medium Chameleon frame and am seeking some suggestions/recommendations for a fork.

I'm looking at Fox's lineup right now. I've been directed to consider the Talas, but have also eyed the F120.

I'm basically looking at doing trails, XC type riding. I weigh 190 lbs. I'm in the South Bay (Santa Teresa Park is literally in my backyard), if that helps.

Thanks. :)

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
I've been running a 130mm Revelation on my large Chameleon for a year and a half and its been a good year and a half. I've found that at that length having a travel adjust fork isn't really worth the weight or trying to mess with it all the time.

Hopefully in the new year I'll stick a 150mm fork on it and see how that goes.

And I also live in the South Bay area (sort of) and its a good fit pretty much everywhere here.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i raced santa teresa recently on a fox float that i lowered from 140 to 120 mm. i had a great time. won my class. i really like the 120 on the new chameleon. sc changed the geometry slightly, so i think its better to run a fork with a little less travel. personally, i would look into the x fusion fork that has like 140 mm of travel or somewhere in that range. i forget what they call it. ive been really into x fusion lately.

good luck

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm running a 130mm RS Recon 351. Seems to be doing great. It's not as plush as my fox Float 140 RLC and I'm thinking of swapping out. I know the Float is a great fork and I hear great things about the Revelation. The Recon is just fine though. I like the Chameleon at 130mm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Talas!

I'd get the Talas. As far as weight, it is not enough to worry about, plus front end weight at least IMHO is much less of concern than the rear weight. The RLC 15qr TALAS 140 weighs under 4 lbs. Think of it as getting three forks in one, for only 100 bucks more than a fixed one. You can race at 100mm and do downhill at 140mm. It is totally worth it and you won't need to stress about getting the wrong size and not being able to return it after realizing your mistake.

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Digging up an old thread to get some input as I decide on a new fork for my '06 Chameleon. I'm thinking hard about a 32 Talas 110/140. Or possibly a RLC 120. With the Talas, will I be missing out on the "sweet spot" of 120 or 130 for this frame?

Suggestions are welcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.