Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have some tweaked (trigger) fingers and a sprained thumb. I'm been using Ergon grips for a month, and it's helped, but I'd like to try to some grips that are more traditional; they just need to be thicker diameter to give my fingers a break.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
You could get some soft grippy bar tape like on road bikes and go right over your grips till you feel better.
ODI Rogue are just about as fat and good and grippy as it gets, and my fav. Plus lock-on makes it a no brainer for me.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Monzie's mom's got plenty of chunk for me to grip when the going gets rough.

Oh, handlebar grips? I use Ergons. No wrist problems (knock on wood), but they simply work for me. I was gonna recommend wrapping with bar tape to the desired thickness, but that was already suggested, so I'll simply second theMeat.

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
OURY Grips are about the biggest you will find. ESI Chunkys will definitely not fit the bill. They are 32mm, but squish down a good amount when using them.

ODI Rogues are also 32mm, but down squish down. I have large fingers/hands and I use the Rogues.

·
Retired User
854 Posts
Agree that Rogues are a bit softer. Right now I have Rogues on one bike and Ouries on another. When I say it doesn't matter, in part it's because I just don't see it being a big deal either way when you're talking about an $18 investment in a disposable part. Eventually you can try them both. :thumbsup:

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
odi rogue, great grip, softer n feels better than the ouries imo, id go the rogue 4 sure, cheers

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I used Ergons for a long time, but after a while in chunky stuff I developed severe pain in the heels of my hands, and got a big old lump in the right one. Very painful, and I changed to Specialized Grapplers as I like em fat too. I love them. Plenty to hang on to!

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, everybody! I ended up going with the Rogues.

Turns out the g/f had them on her Yeti, but didn't like 'em--so it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Glad you found some that work!
I use the regular Oury's and wire them. Way cheaper than lock-on version and just as effective.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a set of crank bros iodines, which are the same thing as the cobalts but rubber, and they are definitely not fat. They are so skinny my hands cramp up every time I ride and hurt for days afterwards. Tried the oury's but the found the big squares dug into my hands too much unless I wore gloves, and got tired of getting sticky black goo everywhere. I love the iodine's compound, just wish they were fatter. Guess I'll try the bar tape trick next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts