Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· AKA Greengiant
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm up visiting family in the East Bay area, and my best riding bud is up visiting her family in Stockton, she and I are talking about riding at Mt. Diablo. (Neither of us have ever ridden there)

We're intermediate level riders from SoCal, climbing doesn't scare us, we ride alot in the Santa Ana mtns, San Juan Trail, SART, etc, so I'm looking for suggestions on a loop or two to do on Friday morning, for about a 2-3 hour ride, 15-18 miles or so...

· Registered
29 Posts
berg said:
While I'm up visiting family in the East Bay area, and my best riding bud is up visiting her family in Stockton, she and I are talking about riding at Mt. Diablo. (Neither of us have ever ridden there)

We're intermediate level riders from SoCal, climbing doesn't scare us, we ride alot in the Santa Ana mtns, San Juan Trail, SART, etc, so I'm looking for suggestions on a loop or two to do on Friday morning, for about a 2-3 hour ride, 15-18 miles or so...
You can start a ride from Mitchell Canyon rd. in Clayton. There is a gate into park with parking. Get a map inside trailor. Go up to deer park then go left up to paved road. Go on paved road for about 1 mile then bear right at Devil's elbow (nice little single track). At the end of this go left down towards clayton. Keep going down until Bruce Lee trail and cut back over to parking area. This is a good workout with a great view, have fun.

· Old School
1,036 Posts
Like to Climb?

berg said:
climbing doesn't scare us...
That's good.
Depending where you're near (south side, north side) there are a couple of routes I like:

From the south side, park at the Athenian School on South Gate Drive.
Ride up the paved road about 1.5 miles. Hit the Dan Cook singletrack off to your left. (just pass the guard rail and the metal gate that can be used to close the road). Dan Cook (one of few legal singletracks in the area) dumps to a fire road. Head right, and climb up to Rock City (trail dumps at a camp ground -- head right to the main park road). Snack break, potty break, check out the rock formations.

Hit the parks main paved road again for a few yards and dump back on to dirt (on your left) and go down Wall Point fire road (pretty cool sand stone out crops & wicked whoop-t-dos). At the bottom, turn right and climb up BBQ Terrace fire road. Settle in and take your time. Break time at the top.

Hit the main park road and turn right (down) and buzz on down back to Rock City. Back track down hill (down the fire rd) to Dan Cook singletrack back to Athenian School.

--------
Alternative North Side Route -- From Clayton
Park at the Mitchell Canyon staging area. Climb up Mitchell Canyon. At Deer Flat junction go right and climb to the Juniper camp ground. Through the camp ground to the main park road. Left on the park road to the Devils Elbow (sharp left turn in rd). Hit the legal singletrack on the right that will take you over to Prospectors Gap. At the junction, go left (north) back to Deer Flat and backtrack down Mitchell Canyon to the staging area.

Enjoy. :cool:

· Registered
3,916 Posts
wow, have you ever come to the right place!! guys like vtt, ebrider d'anger and others are experts on these parts.

i'm not sure what type of riding you want to do or how long a ride you go for, but there are other options nearby as well. i do a really fun loop (at least i think it's fun) in the surrounding parks that's about 11 miles with a lot less climbing...it touches on the diablo foothills/shell ridge/borges ranch/mt diablo state parks and involves about 7 or 8 stream crossings towards the end. i was there last weekend and in spite of the really nice weather we've had, got pretty wet on the first 4 crossings...

pm me if you are interested in details of that ride. there are a few short climbs but nothing major and the loop has some great scenery...

· Registered
1,444 Posts
I would agree with the ride Cohen5 is suggesting. Not to knock the other rides, but if your'e into a climb fest, do the Mitchell Canyon ride.
It's a challenging climb.

The Shell Ridge-Borges Ranch-Wall Point is a pretty gentle hill climb ride. This too will take you up to RockCity. You can then decide to go further up the mountain from there.

If your looking for single track, as Joe Steel suggested then the Dan Cook is one of the few legal singletrack getting up the mountain. That's a challenging climb too.

Friday, may be crowded with hikers and horses and other bikers. I wouldn't recommended any of the illegal riding that goes on there on such a busy day.

Have fun,

jps

· Paper or plastic?
10,748 Posts
imjps said:
I would agree with the ride Cohen5 is suggesting. Not to knock the other rides, but if your'e into a climb fest, do the Mitchell Canyon ride.
It's a challenging climb.

The Shell Ridge-Borges Ranch-Wall Point is a pretty gentle hill climb ride. This too will take you up to RockCity. You can then decide to go further up the mountain from there.

If your looking for single track, as Joe Steel suggested then the Dan Cook is one of the few legal singletrack getting up the mountain. That's a challenging climb too.

Friday, may be crowded with hikers and horses and other bikers. I wouldn't recommended any of the illegal riding that goes on there on such a busy day.

Have fun,

jps
Not that you would recommend poaching anyway... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.