Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tore my threads out of my TruVativ Isoflows cranks yesterday, so this will be my second pair in 2 months. The first set were Shimano Alivio's and now these. The Isoflows held up well until I put a pair of Mallets C's clipless on and then they were shredded after around 4 hours ride time.

I don't want to spend more then 100.00$ Anyone have any ideas?? :confused:

·
sweet!
260 Posts
Last year I was looking to replace my Isoflows on the cheap, I found the FSA Alpha Drive, it has a cro-mo steel threaded insert to prevent stripped threads, they are forged not cast, they don't flex when I put the hammer down, and have a super tough matt-black anodized finish.
They are available in both ISIS and JIS square BB, mine came with a 10mm poly bash gaurd, the gaurd alone sells for over $30, BTW that is what I paid for the crankset + shipping.
If you don't need the bash gaurd, buy an outer ring, and sell the gaurd on ebay.

here's a link to the site were I bought mine (the price has gone up however)http://www.bikewagon.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/32140/vpid/3097007/vpcsid/0/rid/124765

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch for the suggestions fellas. :)

Do/will I need a crank-puller if I do this,or can I get by with standard tools? My LBS quoted me ~100.00$ for installing another pair of Isoflows,but if I can do it myself fairly easily I would rather take that route.

Diamondhead,do your FSA Alphas have a cro-mo insert?

·
Registered
290 Posts
$100 for labor? On cranks?
Buy yourself a crank puller for $30....yes, you need one to pull cranks. Putting the crank arms back on just requires an 8mm allen wrench (unless octalink cranks use some other retention system, but I doubt it). Crank pullers are my favorite specialty tool....well, chainwhips are damn cool too.

·
sweet!
260 Posts
Paid less then $20. for a Pedro's universal crank puller, removes JIS square, ISIS, and Octalink style cranks.http://www.rei.com/product/723014

Yes my FSA Alphas have a cro-mo steel insert where the pedals attach. My old Isoflows didn't have an insert and stripped out after 3 mo use, the Isoflows also flexed alot under my 245 lbs weight, the Alphas don't, they allow me to put down more power because they don't flex.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
my crank puller was around 12 bucks.. nothing special crank puller, but it hasnt failed me yet.

just get an xt crank and be done with it.. i know its kind of expensive, but it'll probably be the last crank you buy.. and thats cheaper than buying a bunch of crappy cranks and rings all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.