Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Shread Ready
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that summer is here and the heat is on I wanted to get some suggestions for trails that have shade and slightly lower temperatures. Don't get me wrong I love trails like Mt Falcon but a lot of front range stuff gets pretty gruesomely hot during the summer. I'm hoping to get some ideas for trails that are relitively close to the front range. I also wouldn't mind other trail suggestions that are a little more high-country this side of the Eisenhower tunnel.

One of the trials I like that provides a good amount of shade is Elk Meadows. I'm also thinking Heil Ranch might be pretty well shaded. Appreciated any suggestions for cooler rides.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
I like the riding west of the Peak to Peak up North. West Mag is good on a hot day, so is all the Sourdough/SSV riding. Jeep roads above Caribou aren't shaded but are really high elevation.

Despite the shade at Heil, it's still low elevation and can get pretty warm on a hot day.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
It's a long drive for some short rides

But the Poudre "Gulch" trails W of Ft. Collins are nice. All three are about 8 miles RT, all are tucked down in steep "Gulches" that help keep the sun off, and all feature MANY stream crossings. Ride Hewlett's first in the morning, there is a long steep meadow section towards the top that has no shade but if you ride back down it at the normal 35-40 mph it will be cool. Then do Youngs , a huge splash-fest w/ about 70 steam crossings in the RT. Then drive up the canyon some more to Dadds a lot higher ride that can be extended up some FS roads to near timberline.

Bring a change of dry socks at the least. :D

·
1,534 Posts
just go up to all trails above ~9k. even if there's no clouds its still 65-70 degrees. i still carry around a polycap shirt because some of the descents get cold (particularly after a sweaty climb).

·
Shread Ready
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ignazjr, where are those trails? Are those up in CS?
nOOby, Where at in Golden Gate? I. Don't think I've road over there. I've rode Centennial ConeTrail but that is like a 12mile loop that doesn't have much shade. Thanks for the suggestion.
onbelaydave, I'll have to check out that ride when I go up north. Sounds pretty fun for a hot day. Might be a little much with 70! stream crossings? Wow! How many miles is that? You mentioned driving also during the ride? Hall Ranch is about as far North as I've road. That's a hot one also.
nomit, Good point and I'm sure I'll get quite a few 9K + rides in. I just want to find all the closest rides in my area that are cooler.

I went and rode Apex by Heritage Square for the first time today and it was quite fun and close. Even though it was a cloudy day it was about 85+ but I didn't get very hot. I think that ride would be one of the cooler Front Range rides when the suns out. I took the suggested route on Singletracks.com. It came to 8.6 miles and their are quite a few trees on that ride. Especially in the Enchanted Forest area! That was an excellent area on the ride!

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Hey Thrasher, check the map for riding west of the Peak to Peak starting at Nederland and going all the way north to Raymond/Allenspark. Sounds like it might be a bit further drive from where you're coming from but definitely worth it. LOTS of riding.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
Thrasher said:
<snip>

I went and rode Apex by Heritage Square for the first time today and it was quite fun and close. Even though it was a cloudy day it was about 85+ but I didn't get very hot. I think that ride would be one of the cooler Front Range rides when the suns out. I took the suggested route on Singletracks.com. It came to 8.6 miles and their are quite a few trees on that ride. Especially in the Enchanted Forest area! That was an excellent area on the ride!
It's soooooooo much better as a shuttle. :cool:

·
what nice teeth you have
712 Posts
Kelly Flats and Seven Mile Creek are fun ones too. They are up the Poudre a ways. Beaver meadows in Red feathers lakes has some decent elevation too and is a bit cooler with some very very cold stream crossings.

·
tiny rider
623 Posts
Lair of the Bear is nicely shaded. It's pretty low, though.

Much of GGSP is treed, though Elk has some long stretches of buff single-track through meadows you'll just have to suffer through ;) The double-track grind up Burro isn't the best for shade either, I suppose. Still, it's a great place to ride.

I spent some time recently toodling around Aldefer/Three Sisters and that's fairly close and well treed with a good mix of trails to make a short or longer ride. Catch the connector to Dedisse too :)

·
Shread Ready
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cartographer said:
Lair of the Bear is nicely shaded. It's pretty low, though.
I just did this ride yesterday. It was excellent for a hotter day! I hit it at about 4pm while it was around 88 degrees. Much of it was shaded and not very strenuous for a 12mile ride.

I remember hitting the 3 Aldefer/Three Sisters last year but it seemed like a short ride at about 6-7 miles the route I took. Might be good for a hot day. Today I'm chilling in my AC apartment hung over from Red Rocks show. Keep the suggestions coming-esp for closer front range ride.

·
friend of Apex
4,007 Posts
Thrasher said:
I remember hitting the 3 Aldefer/Three Sisters last year but it seemed like a short ride at about 6-7 miles the route I took. Might be good for a hot day.
You missed quite a bit of the trails. I've logged 15 - 20 and not hit the same trail twice (at least in the same direction)

Hit Bergen, too

hung over from Red Rocks show.
Wurd

Looks cool outside now, less hot tomorrow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.