Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read the entire FAQ on singlespeeds and learned a bunch about how to properly convert a geared bike to a singlespeed. I will be converting my Trek 8000 hardtail to a singlespeed and need some advice on a few things:

1) Handlebars - I currently have an Easton EA70 flat bar. The FAQ says that I will need a wider handlebar for extra leverage. The Easton is 23" wide. Anything wider requires me to move into a riser bar. What size/type of riser bar should I get? There are varying widths, heights, and degrees of bend and it's confusing me. I did find an Answer Protaper bar: 645mm wide, 1" rise, 8 degree sweep and 4 degree upsweep. Then Easton makes a riser bar that is 660mm wide but comes in .75" rise and 1.5" rise. What is typical for a SS handlebar?

2) Stem - if I change out the handlebars, my current stem is also probably going to need replacement. Moving from a flat bar to a riser bar will change my riding position, so my current Kore Lite 120mm stem is probably going to put me out too far. Any suggestions on how much shorter a stem I should buy? 100mm? 110mm?

3) Bash ring - good idea? Bad idea? My current setup is a Kooka 5-arm 94mm compact crankset. Removing the big ring will mean I will have to replace the chainring bolts unless I get a bash ring (they'll be too "thick" if I don't).

4) Chain tensioner - I'm leaning towards the Rennin Rollenlager. I've heard some bad comments about the Surly Singleator. But is the Rennin compatible with QR skewers?

Any help from you SS experts would be most appreciated. If the SS project turns out well and I like the idea of riding a SS, I will eventually get a "real" SS frame. But for now I am going the cheap route and converting my old HT.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
52 Posts
1) Handlebars - the EA70 23" may work fine! Try riding it a few times before you spend away on a riser. It's not like you HAVE to go ultra wide. 23" was considered way wide just a few years ago.

2) Stem - ditto

3) Bash ring - good idea? It looks clean and is relatively cheap. Get one! Spot brand has one for around $30. Alternatively, a hardware store would have shims to space out your crank bolts. Another option is filing the bolts down.

4) Chain tensioner - can't help you, running EBB.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
bash ring

A bash ring might be a good idea but changing to BMX bolts for a single chain ring will only cost you $4 so you could just do that to deal with the bolts being too long.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
1) The short list of flat wider bars includes the Titec Flat-tracker (640mm) and the Salsa Pro Moto (660mm)

2) When I went to a wider bar, I dropped my stem length by 20mm. May or may not work for you.

3) Good idea, if you aren't smooth and have lots of logs in your area. Otherwise, get the shorter single ring bolts.

4) Never used one, so no comment.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Single ring bolts

If you need a set of single ring bolts, shoot me a PM with your address, I think I have an extra set or two. They are yours Gratis.....

-JS-

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
try the flat bar with bar ends.

otherwise, i use the easton monkey lite dh bar and it's 28" wide. love it. i think answer makes an AL version thats quite a bit cheaper and the same width. i'm sure there are other brands too.

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
I've been running a Singleator for several months now and I like it. It comes with two springs so it'll push up or down, the tension is adjustable (you need an 18mm cone wrench), the pulley floats, and the chain guide is open so that crap doesn't catch in it. Pricepoint had them for $40.

·
Registered
45 Posts
try an old derailluer

If you're just looking to try out single speed I'd recommend using an old derailluer for a tensioner. I've been running an old Shimano 600 road derailluer and it works great. It believe the FAQ has some tips regarding setup.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I'm no expert but went thru the similar process. I had a Al spare frame and went thru the same pain that you're going thru now.

1) Try what you already have and are familiar with. I started with a 23" RF flat bar and now use a Maxm MX-6 Carbon Riser bar cut at 25". I like high rise on my bars so I went with 1.5" rise.

2) Changed my stem from a 100x5 to 90x5 to make the cockpit more confy. Go back one size and see how it goes, worked for me.

3) Bash ring? Good idea in terms of safety, I don't have or plan to have one. Get BMX chainring bolts or get a Salsa ring, with the Salsa standard bolts work fine.

4) For chain tension use the gearing plus a half link. I used the Spicer half link with a 2:1 combination when using a geared frame successfully. If you want a tensioner use an old rear mech, avoid the Singlerator.

Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts