Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been riding for over 5 years now and have always used platform
pedals since I could never get used to clipping in (I'm a Lefty, and had trouble with coordination on my Right side). Thanks to my friends always getting on my case about it, I am now reconsidering.

Obviously, they'll help me with climbing but my concern is getting used to them and probably getting in a few crashes before I'm a pro with them.

I would prefer getting a pair of pedals that are platform style and that enable me to clip in and also ride without them so I could ease into using them. I understand Crank Bros. has a pair like these.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

·
Plays with tools
4,646 Posts
Most pedal systems have a version with a decent sized platform around them. I'm a big fa of Time pedals, there version is the MX-X, Shimano makes good pedals as well, M424 or the like. In the past Crank Brothers has had some notable reliability problems but they've allegedly turned things around.

·
Magically Delicious
9,863 Posts
What ever clipless you decide to go with, make sure they incorporate an adjustable release. All of the Shimano's have this. As a newbie to clipless, adjust the allen screw full counter-clockwise to the easiest in and out setting. As you advance and gain comfort, you can tighten the release adjust to your comfort zone.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
What ever clipless you decide to go with, make sure they incorporate an adjustable release. All of the Shimano's have this. As a newbie to clipless, adjust the allen screw full counter-clockwise to the easiest in and out setting. As you advance and gain comfort, you can tighten the release adjust to your comfort zone.
yup.. made my life easier as I have leg/knee issues and can't really turn my foot enough to unclip normally.. I have mine adjusted so a quick yank straight out will release them..

personally,.. I started with the Wellgo's WAM-D10.. they are regular flats on one side, clips on the other.. after I learned/got used to snaps (clip less is SOO stupid a name) I went through a bunch. Crank Bro, high end Shimano's, Time,... few other.. went right back to the cheapo Wellgo's.. they work.. they are WAY stronger than anything else (I do stump standees all the time) and just work.. comfortable if you just want to go for a quick ride with regular shoes/sneakers.. just all around better/easier. Shimano make a similar set, but I busted those up in less than a month.. I get YRS out of the Wellgo's and.. they are lighter ;)

·
Registered
14,872 Posts
x3 on adjustable release for anyone new to clipless. I have my spd's set about as light as they can go and I've been riding clipless for a long time. It's still impossible to clip out while pulling up (for me) and I only inadvertently clip out once in a blue moon, usually due to getting a little squirrly in a tech section. I love the ultra-easy exit.

I think it's also advisable to get very familiar with them on the road and easy paths before venturing onto any real singletrack. I couldn't imagine going hardcore with them right away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts