Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has a 2012 Marin Rift Zone XC 6. We don't live in mountains so the low end brakes are OK, and I swapped the fork for a Tower Pro and saved 3/4 lbs plus gained performance. She's 150 and losing weight not aggressive rider.

This is the build spec:
Shift Lever: SRAM X5, 3x10 Speed Trigger
Derailleur Front: SRAM X7, Direct Mount, 3x10 Speed
Derailleur Rear: SRAM X7
Brakes Front: Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc, 7" Rotor
Brakes Rear: Avid Elixir 1 Hydraulic Disc, 6" Rotor
Brake Levers: Avid Hydraulic Disc
Pedals: None
Crankset: SRAM X5, 44/33/22T
Bottom Bracket: SRAM Giga X Pipe
Chain: SRAM PC-1030, 10-Speed
Cassette: SRAM PG-1030, 11-36, 10 Speed
Hub Rear: Marin Cartridge Bearing, 32 Hole
Hub Front: Marin Sealed Bearings, 32 hole
Rim: Alex SX44
Spokes Nipples: 14 Gauge Black Stainless
Tires: Continental Race King, 29 x 2.2"
Saddle: WTB Silverado Sport
Seatpost: Comp Alloy Micro Adjust, 2014 Alloy, 15mm Offset, 400mm
Stem: Marin OS Alloy Threadless, 31.8mm Bar Clamp
Handlebar: Double Butted 6061 Alloy, OS-31.8mm, 15mm Rise, 710mm wide (680mm for Size 15")
Grips: Ergon GA1 EVO
Headset: FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS, 1 1/8" Top, 1.5" Bottom

But I'd like to go tubeless and save weight. I know the tires are pretty heavy looking, but better to have her secure and not freaking out so I may stick with them.

Thinking of a couple things:

Ghetto tubeless on existing hoops
Carbon seatpost / bars
new cheap china carbon rims (thanks for forum hints) on existing hubs double butted spokes.

Any other low hanging fruit or comments?

My bike is about 27 loaded and hers is 31 with pedals and new fork. Only reason I'm giving comparison is that would be somewhat of a target weight.

Thanks

DD

·
Registered
668 Posts
best bang for the buck is (almost) always wheels. those cranks are bricks too, switch to 1x at the same time you change cranks/bb and lose an additional pound.

watch the sales, pricepoint.com is doing a big one right now

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
For your wife, I wouldn't go 1x unless she has the legs to do it. If it is super flat out there, she might.
While the SX44 are a nice wheel, they are probably overkill for what she needs. See if you can find a light(hint, she doesnt need carbon) wheelset and some racing ralph evo tires(500-550g compared to the 750g tires you have). You should be able to drop a bunch of weight right there. And with a 29er it will make a huge difference.

The giga x pipe is a threaded GXP compatible bottom bracket. You cant use press fit cranksets like BB30.

Stem and bars could be an easy place to upgrade as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for info. I thought I had read about cheap china carbon hoops, and having built my first wheel a year ago or so I have some inflated optimism about my skills so that seemed like something to check into - plus I have some friends with dish tool and tension tool, etc., but you're probably right she doesn't need it.

Going ghetto tubeless would be a huge reduction and like you say the tires, I figured those were heavy, they LOOK heavy. I went Small Block 6 or whatever on my 26r and they are very light but lack traction, so don't want to make that mistake again. Just saying don't want to go too far as she will need traction build confidence. :)

DD

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Unfortunately "budget" and "weight reduction" are often had to use together. The wheel set would be first as well as going tubeless (and new tires if the current ones aren't TLR). This should drop at least a pound..if not more. But as my first sentence says, I am not sure of your budget and I would guess this would be nearly $500. The cranks will be portly as are the Elixir 1s and cassette. An XT cassette can be found for $60 online (definitely a budg-o upgrade) and will save ~100g (I did this exact upgrade - 1030 to XT)). Its really just not worth replacing most of the parts as the weight reduction is min. and you would have to replace so many of them to get a nice cumulative weight loss and at that point you are spending quite a bit of $$. The 1x10 conversion is an obvious quick win. You would likely need a short or medium cage r. derailleur to do this as well as a narrow-wide chain ring ($200 of this and possible losses of a pound).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for thoughts. I am thinking the same thing, wheels, cassette, maybe tires, crankset.

I had options to get higher end bike than the Rift Zone 29r XC6 but I wasn't all that jazzed about the equipment on higher bikes and figured for the price I got the bike ($1250) I could get a set of Stan's and a different fork. I already swapped the Recon Silver TK fork for a Tower Pro, netted only about $150 cost and we like that better and it saved some weight. So, the budget, if she continues to ride it could support more stuff as that was the intent when I bought the lower end model. The frame is the same as on the higher models and comes with Enduro bearings, etc. I may do a ghetto tubeless and see if that gets close enough for a while. She could lose the big ring for most of our riding and go 2x10, but for her having the granny is a big plus and means riding instead of walking. Biggest deal with brakes is bedding them in as they are a little psycho right now and grab in spots. Realize they are crappy brakes but all we need here on gulf coast and even Austin ride it was more than enough.

DD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts