Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm considering buying a gravel bike, but am 6'5" which generally means no one carries something that will fit me. I usually rider mountain bike and got a cheap road bike last year, which is a 60cm orbea avant. I think the Avant may be a touch small so I was looking for something I guess in the 62-63cm range or XXL. I found the Canyon Grail which puts me in an XXL for them and the bike seems well reviewed and decently spec'd. Any suggestions on sizing or companies that make something larger than a 61? My budget is under $2,000 if I end up getting something. I'm currently torn between a new MTB or the gravel. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
May want to check in 'Clyde' section...lots of us tall geeks post our tales of woe there.

One of my favorites is 'you need to go try out as many bikes as you can before buying'.
Well...tall guys know that you won't find many XL/XXL framed bikes kicking around to demo.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some searching in the Clyde section, but didnt see much of anything new on gravel bikes.

Looking at the spreadsheet there though, it appears the XXL Grail has the largest reach of anything else. What are the important numbers I should be looking at the a gravel bike? Is reach not much of a concern?

After looking at the spreadsheet and the RLT geo I'm worried the XXL Grail may be too big, but that is what Canyon's sizing guide puts me on.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Canyon AL7.0 2XL fits 100% out of the box.....been riding it for 4 months. Great bike, but my main gravel road has a lot of pot holes, so thinking of going to a Viathon carbon XL since it supports 50mm tires.
All my other bikes are mountain bikes, but the gravel bike has seen the hours lately, as I can ride directly from home and get an amazing workout which then goes directly to fitness on the mountain bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Surfdog; what is your height and inseam for comparison sake? How wide of a tire do you think the Grail can handle? Glad to see someone has what I'm actually looking at and is able to give their perspective.

That Viathon would be a great deal for a carbon bike on sale.

·
Registered
976 Posts
6'8" / 38" inseam. Up front, I put a 50mm tire and out back a 42mm .... the 42 Resolute is really and larger than the stock 40. It's trial and error....i'm thinking of trying a Specialized 47mm on rear, with main goal being more comfort. Coming from mountain bikes with large volume tires, these "small 40's 42's etc don't provide much cushion. But, again, I'm riding on some rough roads on smoother, the stock 40's would likely not be an issue. What's nice about the Canyon is the long-ish head tube, so can relax a bit in more upright condition. Yeah, the Viathon is a good deal, but am concerned a bit about fit, as it is a bit shorter in the cock pit, and shorter headtube.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'm straddling the line between XL and XXL. Your a bit taller so XXL is a definite. It's really weird saying it, but this is the first time I've looked at a bike and thought I may not need the largest they have. Playing with their sizing suggestions if I knock it down an inch on height and inseam it puts me on an XL. The Grail XL already seems large than a lot of other XLs.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
OP, you need to know your body proportions relative to your height. While you are tall, there is often an imbalance of leg length over the rest of the body. But the general rules apply, long leg/shorter spine/short arms will need a different bike to the person who has a long back/short legs/long arms. There are a lot of permutations in all of this, but knowing more than just; I have an inseam of... will help you see better what you need. I once fronted up to an event and liked a bike of a like altitude advantaged person and we swapped bikes for a quick test ride. As you are aware, opportunities are not so common. He could not get his leg over my saddle height well and thought my bike was too short, and my impression was his bike was way stretched out and how could you ride a bike so straight armed! So when we stood beside each other, stretched out our arms and there was a 50mm difference in arm length, along with different leg/back proportions, we could not compare our bikes in the manner that we were hoping for.

Knowing your full measurements helps. I am by proportion a normal body to arm ratio with an added 50mm in the length of my thigh. I fit bkes that suit the otherwise smaller person that I am but have to add extra seat height. As a frame builder, I have made bikes for people who ride bikes longer than I do, but their saddles are too low for me. My advantage is being able to make what fits me, and I understand your problem. Production bikes are a fixed quantity so choose thoughtfully.

Happy hunting.

Eric

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
found the Canyon Grail which puts me in an XXL...
Just an FYI/opinion from a 10 minute parking lot and sprint down a dirt road and back "test" Im 6'3 175lbs fairly flexible, not road racer flexy but pretty ok with a "sporty" position on a gravel bike. I found the stack height of the XL to be really low (like aero road race bike low) and after checking out the geo charts I see its a long reach bike but it did not feel any longer than any other bikes in my size...it felt like they went longer reach and shorter "stem" length for the handling they wanted and I like that but it will skew geo comparisons a good bit. that new style bar stem combo is unique, I dig the look and feel of it but keep in mind its not going to be an easy swap if you get something that needs size tweaking. Like I said Im 6'3 but long legged and I would want to test the XXL before pulling the trigger... pretty sure Id be an XL but close enough I think I would feel better testing the XXL first (probably just due to low stack, but I do not believe its as "big" as the numbers might lead you to believe, at 6'5 I can't imagine not needing a XXL) again just a little parking lot dirt road spin, but figured it was worth mentioning that I really liked the weird bar/stem combo on the grail... the drops felt normal with a bit of flex like they should but the hoods felt like they absorbed vibration much better than ridding on my bikes hoods, some of it was probably that they were carbon but gripping the hoods on the rocky dirt road they felt far more compliant (more like being in the drops on my bike)

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,785 Posts
I'd also add Kona Rove as i've seen it with in your budget.
The XL is only a 58cm. Granted it's a big 58 and measures more like a 60 in the Reach department, but it's no XXL.

In my experience the RLT 62 is small for it's labeled size. Fits more like a 60 or 61.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,785 Posts
They switched their sizing 2 years ago IIRC. They used to make 61cm bikes as their XLs. Perhaps the Sutra or something came in a 62?

Not any more though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.