Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the snow is melting, the streets are clear, and I finally got a hole in my schedule to go for a short ride today, the first of the year :D . The trails are still packed with snow, though, and will be for some time (spring is more or less non-existent here in Newfoundland), so I'll be doing a lot of road riding in the coming weeks. I have a Giant Iguana with 2.1 Weirwolf tires, and I'd really like to try some slick tires for the roads. Does anybody have any suggestions/experience with a particular tire that is nice and fast, but not too puncture prone? Also, I might do a small amount of riding on the old railway trail, which is pretty much straight, flat, and covered in '"fine gravel." Will completely slick tires not be a good idea to take on a trail like that? If so, what suggestions do you have for a semi-slick tire that will not be too bulky and still give lower weight and rolling resistance on pavement? Thanks a lot.

·
Don't touch me!
879 Posts
WTB NanoRaptor 1.85. 400ish gram tire. I use it as a rear for normally dry trails and it works pretty well. Can give a harsh ride depending on how fluid you ride, but since your riding is on road, you'll need high pressures anyway. It has a raised center line section that helps it roll fast on flatter surfaces. Rolls nearly as well as my 700c 28mm slicks on my commuter.

·
Don't touch me!
879 Posts
shiggy said:
Discontinued two years ago.
D'oh!

I believe they still make the Nano in a 2.1. Or Hutchinson TopSlick/Ritchey TomSlick or Kenda Quest/Tioga City Slickers for full on slicks. The last 2 will be a little tougher than the first 2, and heavier, and availible in larger sizes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
In addition to tasty's suggestions, I have had a good experience with IRC metros.

I run them at 90 PSI for my beater commuter, and on the local rail trail (crushed stone). They have held up to quite a bit of abuse: the bike wieghs about 30 pounds, I weigh 175, the kid seat weighs 10-20 pounds, my son weighs 35 pounds, the stuff we carry in the pack has to weigh about 10 pounds. I have not had a problem with them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greenfix said:
In addition to tasty's suggestions, I have had a good experience with IRC metros.

I run them at 90 PSI for my beater commuter, and on the local rail trail (crushed stone). They have held up to quite a bit of abuse: the bike wieghs about 30 pounds, I weigh 175, the kid seat weighs 10-20 pounds, my son weighs 35 pounds, the stuff we carry in the pack has to weigh about 10 pounds. I have not had a problem with them.
At 90 PSI I'm assuming that you're running the 1" version of the Metro?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.