Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been endurance focused for a few years with last year being my biggest leap including 3 X 12hr solos and the Laramie Enduro. I find that my stomach really suffers through the 8, 9, 10 hr mark of a 12 hour race. After that the determination of reaching the light at the end of the tunnel takes over. I've been primarily using hammer products mixed in with solid foods (I find the solid food helps delay the onset of the upset stomach....I've tried just hammer as well and it seems worse). As we all know nutrition can be tough to figure out due to the number of factors that go into it but at this point I'm interested in trying some different fuels to see if I have better results. What are you guys using if you're not using Hammer? I'm specifically interested in the complex fuel products similar to Sustained Energy and Perpetuem. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember reading that the RBR guys started using Nexium to solve their heartburn/upset stomach problems on brevets, that might work for you. Also, are you properly hydrated (peeing once every two hours or so)? You may need to bump your pure water intake a bit if you stop peeing during the last four hours of the race.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest....no. I'm going to work on it this spring. I don't suffer from cramping but I do get a sense I'm not quite where I need to be with hydration. That could be it but I'd like to be armed with other options as well.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
FWIW, I find Perpetuem more palatable when mixed with some of Hammer's Heed.

If you've got some left over, it might be worth a try.

I've also had pretty good luck with Accelerade, but to me, it tastes a lot like Perpetuem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This past summer I trained with a triathon club and one of our sponsors was Infinit nutrition. Cool company. They allow you to create your own formula and customize the ingredients for your own needs. Ive been using a batch made up for half iron man distance that has about 350 calories/bottle. Tastes better then heed, although ive never tried the more calorie dense hammer products. Ive never had any customer service interactions but I hear you can call the company for guidence and if the products gives you GI issues then they will fix it. Heres the link:

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/

·
Registered
16 Posts
One other recommendation: don't change too many things at once. The more you change the more difficult it is to figure out what the problem is. I seriously doubt your problem is related to the Hammer products. You may not like the taste, texture or whatever, but there's nothing in any Hammer product that would give you stomach problems.

·
n3rd
253 Posts
I found eating more realistic food works much better for me.. anything over 4/5 hours I like to prepare a few almond butter & honey sandwiches (usually on bagels since they are more durable). Bit of trail mix sometimes too or those clif sweet & salty bars. I also use Clif Bloks a good bit.. and Hammer Gel. Hammer Gel is generally my main source I just build off it with some protein rich stuff like trail mix / peanut/almond sandwich. I don't take in any calories through sports drinks anymore.. plain water ftw.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i was using Accelerade shots before switching to hammer. hammer seems a bit better for me.

i have to add solid food at the 5-10-15-20 hour marks, but i have a crazy high metabolism and "eat food" along with keeping up with the gu and perpetuem cut with a small amount heed or another tastier drink mix.

i have some rocktane, but have yet to try it out. heard good stuff for it when you get down to the last bit of energy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't much care for the taste of Hammer's Perpeteum, but it works really well for me. In terms of how often you have to pee: I was told by my coach a couple of years ago that ideally you wouldn't have to stop at all. In my last three 100's I've only had to stop once, and that was at the first aid station @ Cohutta last year. Any thought's on whether or not that's a good hydration strategy. It seems to work fine for me, no cramping or stomach issues to speak of anyway. Also, limiting intake to 200-250 calories/hour is my general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank all for the replies. The taste/texture of Hammer was never an issue. I liked Perp but had stomach issues, moved to Sustained mixed with a bit of heed for flavor...tasted good...stomach issues. I did spend some time looking at the suggested calorie intake but that didn't seem to work alone...stomach issues. When I moved to a bit of solid food, it seemed to improve but I may have begun taking in too many calories. Lately, I've just tried to gauge my body, not waiting till I'm hungry but at the same time not over eating. It can be tough to figure out. To start I think I'll work on my hydration and see if that seems to improve. Like majcolo said, it may not be the hammer at all. If I continue to have trouble I'll give infinit a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I raced a 48hr solo a few weeks ago and for 31hrs straight I used nothing else except liquid nutrition from Infinit. For the remainder of the 48 I stayed on liquid with a few handfuls of nuts, raisins, pretzels and potato chips. Anyone I've recommended it to really likes it.

I've created three custom blends that work for me. You can create pretty much anything you want.

I tried Hammer for a year but I much prefer Infinit, and the taste of Perpetuem or Heed hour after hour in hot Texas weather is... nasty.

·
Registered
371 Posts
First Endurance is the best I have found

I have been an ultra runner and now an endurance mountain biker, so I am no stranger to crazy nutrition things 12 hours into a race. I have been through Hammer, Cytomax and various other. From my experience, stomach problems can be many various things. For racing, I use First Endurance products. They are the nutrition sponsors for the Astana and Columbia cycling teams. Their EFS powder is by far the best electrolyte mix I have found. They recently released their EFS Liquid Shot. It is 400 calories and doesn't contain any gelling agents like the others. It also tastes fantastic! With these and a half dose on EFS powder, I get about 500 calories an hour, which is just about right for me. www.firstendurance.com.

As you state, nutrition is one of the hardest things to dial in. I much prefer a liquid diet for all races. Although, there are many times that real food is a want. At those times, I stay away from anything with sugar. My last 12 hour race, my wife had a cup of beans and rice, that was like manna from heaven. It was about 38 degrees too, so it was soooo good! That was about 10 hours into the race.

The other thing I learned last year is that I really need to increase the length of my training rides to really stress my nutrition plan. This year, I am planning on some 8 to 10 hour rides to see if that helps to get it all dialed in.

I wish you the best! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. As you can tell, I am passionate about endurance sports and working with people.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I use infinitenutrition.com products. I used Hammer for a while but I always got sick using it. The Infinite product does not require seperate water bottle. I have been using there product for 6 months or so and love them.

Brian

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.