Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 04 Giant Yukon with the 75mm travel SunTour fork. I guess there is no rebound damping on that fork, so on bumps and even going off curbs, it makes a loud "clang" sound on full extension. It's the only suspension fork I've ridden and I suppose it works ok... but it's time for an upgrade.

For now, I'm mainly riding intermediate XC trails as I'm still in the "beginner" level in mountain biking. I doubt I'll be doing crazy drops or jumps anytime soon, besides, a hardtail probably can't handle that. My budget for the new/lightly used fork is around $300. I'm 190lbs and 200lbs with the Camelbak...

Any suggestion on a good fork in the 85-120mm trave that would be a good fit for me?

Thanks much. =)

Phil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been doing research into the same thing for a TST hardtail, but I'm trying to limit the travel to 90 mm and under.

For your budget, you could try the Manitou Skarab Elite or Marz MX (a few different flavors). The MX will be stiffer and more likely a bit more plush. The Skarab is definately lighter. Other options might be the Manitou Axel, Manitou Black, Rockshock Pilot or Rockshock Duke.

Another option is to search for a used fork on the classified here on on ebay. You could pick up decent used fork for a good price.

You probably don't want to go over 90 mm of travel on that frame.

The ones I have been looking at are the Skarab Platinum, Black Platinum and Marz Marathon Race. I leaning towards the Race.

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Spud, will look into those.

In my digging around, I found the 04 RockShock Psylo and 05 Manitou Splice. The Splice looks good to me.. and so does the Psylo. The reviews on Psylo indicates that I'll need a stiffer spring.. but from Sram/RockShock's web site, it looks like they no longer make Psylos, would I still be able to order the springs if I went with it?

I'd rather have a fork w/out the bosses for v-brakes. =p So I guess I shouldn't get a fork with higher then 90-100mm travel? I guess that makes sense although part of me think more travel = better... heh

If any see any good deals on forks around, let me know. =) Thanks.

Phil.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Prexus2005 said:
Thanks Spud, will look into those.

In my digging around, I found the 04 RockShock Psylo and 05 Manitou Splice. The Splice looks good to me.. and so does the Psylo. The reviews on Psylo indicates that I'll need a stiffer spring.. but from Sram/RockShock's web site, it looks like they no longer make Psylos, would I still be able to order the springs if I went with it?

I'd rather have a fork w/out the bosses for v-brakes. =p So I guess I shouldn't get a fork with higher then 90-100mm travel? I guess that makes sense although part of me think more travel = better... heh

If any see any good deals on forks around, let me know. =) Thanks.

Phil.
It is not reccomended to go above 100mm of travel on the Yukon frame. There is lots of information on this site regarding the topic of adding too much travel. I reccomend doing a search on the topic. FreeRangeChicken has some informative posts on the topic. There are several models in the 80-100mm range that have the choice of having no v-brake bosses.

For example, the manitou black super air.

"Options: SPV Evolve Option available on the 80mm version; No boss version available"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.