Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I need away to transport 7 bikes. 4 are kids bike and 3 adult bikes. I haven't been able to find a rack that will take all the bikes. Anybody have any suggestions?

Chris

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Padre that is a little out of the price range

dadat40- 4-5 hours is about the max we go. The roof rack is out because we have a cargo carrier for all the stuff we take for camping and such

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
longman said:
then a bike either side of the box and a 5 bike hitch rack for the kids bikes...Yakima and Thule both make one for a 2" hitch

next question
and not even use the stock rack? might work

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I did not see what vehicle you have, but if it's a larger vehicle/truck you could mount fron AND rear receiver hitches. I was able to carry up to 8 bikes this way... The only issue on the front ones is obstruction of view. On my full sized truck - OK on my little truck no way unless I removed all the seats/seatposts.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to try the 58" bars and the 5 bike hitch rack

·
Registered
84 Posts
me thinks its time to break out the welder and steel stock :D 2" square to fit in the hitch reciever and go straight up, and across parallel w/ the truck but perpendicular to the up bar, then find some round tube and weld it on sticking out, make it as long as you want to fit as many bikes as you want (within reason of course )

problem solved :D

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
I fit 8 bikes and 8 people in/on a Chevy Astro Van. 4 bikes on a receiver rack, 2 on the roof and 2 on a trunk mount on the front. That still leaves half the roof and a good amount of space inside for gear. The van cost $800 and the racks cost about $50 total, found in several junk shops. The bikes are valued at almost $15,000 (not all mine). Ya gotta get yer priorities straight.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Trail Ninja said:
I fit 8 bikes and 8 people in/on a Chevy Astro Van. 4 bikes on a receiver rack, 2 on the roof and 2 on a trunk mount on the front. That still leaves half the roof and a good amount of space inside for gear. The van cost $800 and the racks cost about $50 total, found in several junk shops. The bikes are valued at almost $15,000 (not all mine). Ya gotta get yer priorities straight.
Sounds good. :thumbsup: Keep your van tuned up with a good set of tires, a big pack of bungee cords (in case of an emergency tow situation, some good towing insurance, and don't ride through the wrong "hood".:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.