Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

After a few years of not riding in the Bay Area, I will be back staying in Mountain View this weekend, visiting from San Luis Obispo. Looking for some trail recommendations from you guys as to where I should ride, ideally with directions on certain trails to get in a 12-15 or maybe a 20 mile ride. (we all know there are certain directions to ride sections of trail)

I know Santa Cruz is great and all, but I want to explore a bit more on the east side of the SC mountains, closer to Mountain View. Saratoga Gap, Montebello, Fremont Older, etc. I have heard some good things about Skeggs, but should I be worried about rangers with radar guns?

I am riding a SC Bronson and am looking for a good mix of fast and flowy and some technical dh in there too. I am ok with fire road climbs but am not shy for technical climbs either.

Let's hear what you got. Cheers!

·
Mtn View, CA
493 Posts
Saratoga Gap to Long Ridge to Skyline Ridge to Russian Ridge. Cross over to Coal Creek to Montebello and back to Gap. There's some fire road climbing in there. Or just do a big loop at Skeggs.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Few shorter ~7 miles rides with some of the better trails in the vicinity.

Monte Bello ride, counter clock wise:

Ecoregion World Map Organism Vegetation

Russian Ridge ride, counter clock wise (I prefer to park not in the main lot)

Map Ecoregion World Line Atlas

You can start it by going up Alpine road, or Windy Hill fireroad to add mileage.

Waterdog park ride:

Ecoregion Map World Biome Atlas

Fremont Older:

Map World Line Atlas Slope

Arastradero:

Ecoregion World Map Atlas Biome

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
Your bike wants to go to Santa Cruz!

Skeggs is ok, but you definitely have to watch out for the man. And go online to check out some routes, because it can make for a long day if you do it wrong (whatever route you do, factor in climbing at the end). The Gap is a fun starting point for XC rides--most everything is alright in either direction. Head north towards Skyline Ridge, and turn around whenever you want--or, to make it longer--cross the street at the Skyline entrance, drop White Oak to the Canyon trail, and climb Grizzly Flat back up to Hwy 35.

I'm headed to Demo in the morning. Pm me if you'd like to check it out. Have fun!

VV Yep. Good advice!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am riding a SC Bronson and am looking for a good mix of fast and flowy and some technical dh in there too.
I love riding everything around, but considering your priorities just go to Demo. Pretty much everything near Mountain View is wide smooth trails with only occasional roots/rocks, and you have to worry about radar rangers at all those locations, most of them even more than Skeggs.

Either that or go to Santa Teresa and check out Rocky Ridge & Stiles, those are fun if you've never been, and it's a quick drive down 85 from Mtn View.

·
Mtn View, CA
493 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, ended up riding Skeggs with an old friend of mine. Between his knowledge and what I read online, we were able to put together a pretty good ride.

We ended up taking Fir Trail > Methuselah > El Corte de Madera Creek > North Leaf > 2nd section of Methuselah > Giant Salamander (climb) > Giant Salamander (decent, we did an out and back on the 1.1 mile section) > Fir Trail for the fire road climb out.

Turned out to be a really good ride. Super fun tech dh near the top of Methuselah. Flowy and fast on El Corte de Madera Creek trail. No run ins with Johnny Law out there, looking at Strava, probably good that I didnt.

Ill be sure to bookmark this site for the maps provided by @Axe. Thanks for that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.