Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on tires to replace the Hansventures on my 2004 HP? Ride mostly New England singletrack, so looking for more of a XC tire. And anyone interested in buying the Hansventures off me (very lightly used...)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought the Kenda Cinders for mine and have been very pleased. I almost went for the Hutchinson Spiders though. I just asked this question a couple weeks ago. If you click on my name (richeyr) there is a link to all posts started by me. Click it and scroll down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I run IRC Mythos XC Kevlars. I've been pretty happy with them, but we have some nasty rocks here and I've torn off a few knobs on the rear tire. They were starting to get old, so it might just be the age of the tire. They're nice and light and give plenty of traction, so I'm probably going to replace them with the same thing. I will say that they are not very good in mud, though.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I was having some trouble with my front tire on my Hollowpoint -- my Fire XC's weren't hooking up and holding as they had on the previous two bikes I rode them on.

I eventually found happiness with a somewhat chubby WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4, aired down to 32 psi. It's not so much that particular tread pattern that I recommend, but a fatter front tire in general, to keep the front end tracking where you want it.

FWIW, I run a 2.1" Continental Traction Pro in the rear and have always been impressed with that tire's all-around performance.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm trying some new ones

Krabill said:
I run IRC Mythos XC Kevlars. I've been pretty happy with them, but we have some nasty rocks here and I've torn off a few knobs on the rear tire. They were starting to get old, so it might just be the age of the tire. They're nice and light and give plenty of traction, so I'm probably going to replace them with the same thing. I will say that they are not very good in mud, though.
I think the Hansventures hook up great, but they're more than I need on most rides and they have a pretty good weight penalty for keeping up with the XC bros, I plan on saving them for shuttling and more aggresive rides. Also, Arizona loose, gravelly, and sandy is about as far from New England trail conditions as you can get I suppose, but I'm going to try out Tioga extreme XC 2.1s at about 570g and the Larsen Mimos 2.1 (i think) at about 630 grams, I guess the hansventures are about 870g, so either way I'll save at least a pound on rotating weight, as long as the traction is good enough I'll be stoked. I wouldn't recommend the Mythos anymore, there are better choices nowadays, and the mythos tend to shed knobs, and rip sidewalls... Try asking in the New England forum to find local recommendations.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I have only ridden the HansVenture on one ride so far and I liked it. Surprisingly good rolling resistance for the spacing of the knobs.

I am trying the HansVenture on the rear even tho it adds a pound of weight becuase the MutanoRaptor 2.4 I was running on the rear was too light. I started getting cuts in the knobs. I weigh 185 and will go of small jumps on the trail. Superglue has worked for repairing the cuts BTW.

The HansVenture also seem to have slower rebound which feels nicer. Anyway, I prefer the piece of mind with the HansVenture.

This is for NorCal hard pack with rocks.

I run a MutanoRaptor 2.4 up front and it has been consistent so far.

Just a side note; I noticed that big volume tires on skinny rims felt inconsistent to me in the past.

Mr. P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I should mention that when selecting tires, take rolling resistance into account. Rolling resistance is with you every inch of your ride, while tire weight is only a factor during accelleration from x speed to y speed.

Personally, I think rolling resistance is a greater factor than weight. Here is a thread on scientific testing of rolling resistance:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=77503&highlight=rolling+resistance

The test shows rolling resistance takes more watts of energy than does weight.

Something to consider.

Mr. P

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Nick - I'm running Panaracer Fire XCs on my HP and they are working well here in Connecticut for what it's worth. They are considerably lighter than the Hansventures that come stock on the HPs.

I've heard good things about the Cinders too but the price for the pair of Fire XCs via Pricepoint.com was hard to pass up.

Keep us posted with what you end up rolling with.

Mark

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you have the Mavic Crosslands that came stock with the 2004 HP Expert, then you can run UST tyres provided you have the valves for these rims.

When I got mine, I got the shop to trade out the Hansventures for a Michelen XLS and a Michelin Comp S Light, both UST.

The Comp S Light is quite a fast XC tyre. The XLS is not a bad all rounder and I've also been using a WTB Weirwolf 2.1. So now I've got the Weirwolf on the front and on the rear I use the XLS for general trail riding and the CSL for the enduros and other speedier rides such as the 6 hour MTB orienteering event I did recently.

If you don't have the Crosslands, then you can ignore all of the above, but you could also ask over in the Wheels and Tires forum.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hutchinson Spiders

Living her in SoCa, I am a big fan of the Hutchy Python series. But, since it has been raining since the beginning of the year, I found that the Pythons are truely only good for dry hard pack. From the mtbr boards, I read alot of guys and gals like the Spiders for most terrain. Well, I have been riding the Spiders on both my Hollowpoint and HT sor about 5 months and can say that this is my favorite tire. It rolls almost as fast as the Pythons on dry hardpack, but excels on the loose stuff as well as mud, and stream crossings( just finished up 14 to be exact :) )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.