Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in NJ and have loads of xc trails around and live only an hour away from Mountain Creek Bike Park (formally Diablo). I am in high school and am selling my hard tail xc bike in order to get a more diverse one. Plan on hitting up the park in the summer while riding the local xc trails in the meantime.

I need some suggestions on a bike that will do it all! :D

Budget: I have around 2,500 saved up but would like to spend as little of that as possible.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Best deal out there and has become my favorite all around play bike....Titus El Guapo,climbs,jumps and turns with the best of them,and only 999.00!!!

·
All Mountian Destroyer
37 Posts
I'm looking down the road for a new bike, 2500-3500 range, been looking strongly at the Enduro evo because of the simplicity of the coil shocks, but it only has an x5, not saying that wont work but i could always upgrade, looking to make lots of money this summer! how long do you think it would take an eagle scout 16yr old to make around 3000 dollars working rather often?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking down the road for a new bike, 2500-3500 range, been looking strongly at the Enduro evo because of the simplicity of the coil shocks, but it only has an x5, not saying that wont work but i could always upgrade, looking to make lots of money this summer! how long do you think it would take an eagle scout 16yr old to make around 3000 dollars working rather often?
I don't want to be rude or anything.... but you kinda thread jacked... :nono:

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
used market ok? transition covert v1.5/v2, 2010-11 specialized enduros..i mention those two cuz I've ridden and own both and bought them used as well. since you mentioned bike park..Yes, they jump well! checkout pinkbike's buy/sell pages.

·
All Mountian Destroyer
37 Posts
I don't want to be rude or anything.... but you kinda thread jacked... :nono:
meant to include "too" after stating how i was looking for a new mountianbike, and i thought it was better to ask a question on a thread allready on this topic rather than start an entire new one

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses! +1 reps for you guys :thumbsup:

I think the titus for $999 is only the frame. I was looking for a complete bike as I think it will be cheaper that building up. I may be wrong :confused:

Used market is fine, but I would rather it be local so I can try out the bike. I bought my previous bike of craigslist and had a kinda bad experience- A little bit pricy and the fork died in 6 months, with 3 of those in the garage being winter season.

I will def look around tho

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses! +1 reps for you guys :thumbsup:

I think the titus for $999 is only the frame. I was looking for a complete bike as I think it will be cheaper that building up. I may be wrong :confused:

Used market is fine, but I would rather it be local so I can try out the bike. I bought my previous bike of craigslist and had a kinda bad experience- A little bit pricy and the fork died in 6 months, with 3 of those in the garage being winter season.

I will def look around tho
It depends on how savvy you are at shopping for parts,my EG has top line components at about your budget.for example...2012 Fox Float in as new condition paid 450,just test road today my wheelset,Hadley 10mm through axle and 20mm front laced to Stans Flow for less then 400 new,RF atlas cranks 75.00 as new,1x10 drive 150 new,Avid Elixir Carbon brakes 150 new,etc.I get to build it...bonus... and no worries or surprises when you open that used complete bike,been there done that!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It depends on how savvy you are at shopping for parts,my EG has top line components at about your budget.for example...2012 Fox Float in as new condition paid 450,just test road today my wheelset,Hadley 10mm through axle and 20mm front laced to Stans Flow for less then 400 new,RF atlas cranks 75.00 as new,1x10 drive 150 new,Avid Elixir Carbon brakes 150 new,etc.I get to build it...bonus... and no worries or surprises when you open that used complete bike,been there done that!
I am starting to like this idea. This way I can buy a new frame that would still have the warranty but get the parts that fit my budget. :thumbsup:

·
Huffy Rider
1,399 Posts
The Giants are 5.5in and 6in respectively. They will handle more then you can dish out. Those Marin's are nice, too. Super good pedalers and love to go downhill....my hubby rides one. Good price for a new 6in bike.

Brenda

·
Registered
100 Posts
Santa Cruz Blur - great all around bike. I use it at the dirt jump park, downhill and long cross country rides. Goes up, goes down and everything in between.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What trails do you ride? Waywayanda? Ringwood? Allamuchy? How big are the drops you currently do? Are you going to use it at mtn creek regularly or once or twice a season? I can suggest stuff but need to know more for example a Trance X is a great trail bike but I wouldn't use it at mtn creek regularly - a reign x would be better. El Guapos are great frames but even building it up through close out deals etc I think you'll need all of your $2.5K. Also check the classifieds on mtbnj.com as theres always plenty of good qualityvused bikes for sale there. Lastly, how tall are you?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
a xc bike and a park bike are two totally different disciplines. one bike will completely outperform the other depending on what your doing. then there are bikes somwhere between the two. i ride a 150mm bike and dont really justify it for most of my riding . i would probably choose a 120mm bike if i could rechoose. it would be alot more effecient for what i do. but there are some scenarios where i love my diamondback mission. if your definatly gonna ride predominately xc trails. a 130mm bike or less would be good.
in contrast if your mission is bombing downhills, doing some drop offs, and jumping, and dont mind the extra wieght and longer travel slacker headtube bike is for you. being such a big investment it would help to know your goals, and even then sometimes you find your not as aggressive as you thought you would be, or vice versa, you find your more about doing aggresive scenarios and want more bike. if you wanna drop guys and watch them huff and puff as you pass them by your an xc racer type. while you can do many of the same things with different bikes, they are definatly better at doing what they are designed for..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
what about a specialized camber 120, definatley more cushy than, a hardtail xc bike. or if you need more the stumpjumper fsr is 140. more versatile but fading away from an xc racer. . then if you need the next level the have the enduro at 160. check out jenson. the have the rocky mountain altitude which is a 140mm bike. if you still want an very xc capable bike i would ssay 120mm, and 140mm if your tipin the table more towards. all mountain. the giant trance is 120. the giant reign is 150mm.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts