Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It's not a good idea to weld on "braze-ons". Silver solder is simple enough, looks better, and when you want to modify routing, heat it up and it falls off. You should expect that braze-ons will change at each repaint. Change is inevitable.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I don't know where else it could go. For a hardtail, using full housing, under the top and under the seat stays get's everything where it needs to go, is tucked out of the way, and looks clean.

Also, I rotate my seat stay routing 15 degrees around the stay toward the wheel. This get's the hose further out of danger and helps the bike look a long cleaner.

Generally, on adult bikes, you need 3 fastening points on the under the top tube and under each of the seatstays.

Routing is one of the details that very few have put much effort into. I've put a lot because it is a critical part of the function and use of the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That makes perfect sense. Having the stays intersect a bit higher on the seat tube means there really is nowhere else that would work as clean.
I also like how they're "backwards" on the top tube, making them cross as they come out. I'm gonna have to start doing that.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
It will work clean regardless of the intersection.

Back when we did broken lines, I'd put the exposed cables on the top of the top tube because it was the cleanest part of the bike. Full run changed that and I could tuck them out of the way.

The point here is, if you want a bike to function well and look good, you need to put a lot of thought and effort into cable routing. It really matters. I've seen thousands of otherwise decent bikes completely ruined by idiodic routing. I still have nightmares of trying to do race builds on older Ibis carbon FS bikes. Some of the worst routing in the history of bikes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another question about that commencal bike...

It says it has a 7spd Tourney cassette. Honestly I'm surprised it's not just a freewheel...is it a real cassette hub or a freewheel hub? But what is the hub width? Is it 130mm like a road rear hub, or 135mm, or 142? Just wondering what kind of hubs they put on these types.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got your PM, but for everyone else:

The 2020 bike I bought is a freewheel and it appears to be 135mm width.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here's what I came up with for the first try. I started from the Commencal as inspiration but slammed the chainstays shorter and the stack lower, lowered the BB 15mm I think, and used 115mm cranks and 105mm rear end designs copied from another project. I had to make a yoke to cram the Rocket Ron in there, but it does fit, and I wanted to keep somewhat fat tires. Actually I will probably put an even fatter front tire on later. The chain clears the tire and everything, and it will shift into all 5 gears, but the chainline is really bad on the smallest cog so unless I make some breakthrough, it's probably effectively a 3 or 4 speed. But hey it would be pretty good as a single speed anyway. Total weight ready to ride is about 14lb. Almost twice what my last bike weighed, but I guess that's not bad considering the fat tires/rims, disc brakes, and gears.

I'm already working on the next one, I will make it with a longer rear end and a normal MTB hub like the Commencal, bump up the stack/reach, and use more normal parts, and it will probably be closer to 20lb.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Very, VERY cool! When my grandson is riding the Commencal, he stands for anything moderately steep. The low stack might be an issue in that area. That chainline must be very challenging , but I do like short chainstays!

Awesome build, have you got your "test rider" on it yet?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Very, VERY cool! When my grandson is riding the Commencal, he stands for anything moderately steep. The low stack might be an issue in that area. That chainline must be very challenging , but I do like short chainstays!

Awesome build, have you got your "test rider" on it yet?
Test rider approves, but he wants to know "why does it pedal so easy" and "why are the tires making noise" and "why am I supposed to use smaller-number gears on steeper hills? Wouldn't you want the bigger numbers for bigger hills?".

21 - 33 of 33 Posts