Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
83 feet less per minute
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite trail, here in the East, can't be classified as muddy, sandy,
smooth or rough. It has everything! Downhill hard dry clay with ruts ends in stream crossing at the bottom, through loose dry sand (tires pack at this point), uphill through loose clay mixed with baby heads. At the top, more loose sand. Downhill again through mud and tree roots, another stream crossing, then loose sand. Shiggy are you reading this?
Most tires pack up after the stream crossings (they are at the bottom of each hill).
What would be the best compromise tire for this kind of trail. Bike is Spec. Enduro with MX Comp Zoke. Maximum tire width can only be about 2.25 in. in front.
Thanks for reading this. Send help please.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The list:
  • Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25
  • Nokian NBX 2.3
  • Panaracer Cinder 2.25
  • Hutchinson Spider 2.1
  • Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal 2.10
  • Conti Survival Pro 2.3
  • Maxxis Swampthing 2.10
Sounds like most any tire is going to pack up a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IRC Trail Bears...

Riptide suggested the Trail Bears. Are they more durable (and puncture-resistant) than the IRC Mythos? Only one is listed. Is it for both front and rear?

Aside...The Trail Bear is at least a 2.25. My Mythos are 2.10 and on a Bontrager Maverick rim. How do I determine if the 2.25s will fit those rims?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
algae said:
Riptide suggested the Trail Bears. Are they more durable (and puncture-resistant) than the IRC Mythos? Only one is listed. Is it for both front and rear?

Aside...The Trail Bear is at least a 2.25. My Mythos are 2.10 and on a Bontrager Maverick rim. How do I determine if the 2.25s will fit those rims?
The Trail Bear tread is deeper. One tread design for both ends. Both the 2.25 and 2.5 will fit your rims.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Shiggy, I've just learned the difference between XC and DH, of which the Trail Bear is one. Do DH tires require a special tube? Tubes above 2.125 seem pretty scarce at Pricepoint and Performance. BTW...thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.