Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my nephew is lookin for a new bike of the big man in red and i was lookin for some suggestions for a small bike he can grow in to. he's now 7 but this bike will want to last him a few years. a small hardtail that wont cost a fortune and some thin i can trick out when he gets a bit bigger

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
7 year old kids do not grow into bikes. Get the little guy a bike that fits him that he can enjoy and control, buy another bike next year that will fit him and on and on. It is such a disappointment when I see parents buy a kid a bike they don't fit on to save a few bucks even though the child just suffers.

I know many people think this is not cost effective, but if you find a good LBS they will sell you a good bike and take it in on trade the following year for credit towards a larger bike.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Check the Gary Fisher PreCal... not a bad choice for a HT.

Boog is right about kids not growing into bikes. If the kid doesn't like it now the bike will sit and gather dust. Look for a shop that does trades. A local shops in my area has a trade up program where parents will trade in a bike to put towards a new bike. Keeps the kid rolling and excited for their next b-day. Keeps the money local and out of Walmart. Puts the old bike back on the market to keep another less fortunate kid rolling.

·
RiffRaff
429 Posts
If you are just looking at a regular kids bike (not Free Ride) go with specialized. They make the best kids bikes and they are really light. When you weigh 75lbs that makes a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.