Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having trouble figuring out the correct stem for your Sugar? The stock stem is 105 with a 7degree rise. I feel like I am too upright when pedaling. The frame is an XL and I am 6’2”. It is kind’a weird because the same stem is on my Rig and it feels great.

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
29Inches said:
I did and it seems to work good with the stock riser bars. What about zero degree rise with flat bars?
What about the spacers. is the stem all the way to the bottom? Plus, I think Bonti's 7 degree stem seems a bit out there. I think it is more like a 10 to 12 degree rise. I replaced my stem with a 5 degree and noticed a much flater position.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No spacers

bigwheelboy_490 said:
What about the spacers. is the stem all the way to the bottom? Plus, I think Bonti's 7 degree stem seems a bit out there. I think it is more like a 10 to 12 degree rise. I replaced my stem with a 5 degree and noticed a much flater position.
The stem is all the way on the bottom. Did you use the stock bars with the 5 degree stem? How about going with a 110 lenght vs the stock 105?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I noticed that too (had the same stem on my 8000), so I slammed it and threw on my old flat bar. I just put the spacers on top in case I decide to sell and the buyer wants the stupid upright position.

I took one look at the relation of the bars to my seat and the crowbar was off before it had a chance.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
29Inches said:
The stem is all the way on the bottom. Did you use the stock bars with the 5 degree stem? How about going with a 110 lenght vs the stock 105?

Thanks
I acutally don't use a sugar, but a first gen Mt. Tam. I ended up changing the stem to an 5degreex110mm stem. I kept about 20mm of spacer underneath. I use a Bonti Race 600mm flat bar. Changing the stem really changed the way I feel on the bike. I like a slightly lower/racy feel. This definitely gave me this.

Also, when I was cheating the system with the 105mm stem, by pushing the saddle back on the rails a bit (to feel more stretched out). Going to the new stem, I was able to center the saddle a bit more and feel like I'm more "overtop" of the pedals.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

bigwheelboy_490 said:
I acutally don't use a sugar, but a first gen Mt. Tam. I ended up changing the stem to an 5degreex110mm stem. I kept about 20mm of spacer underneath. I use a Bonti Race 600mm flat bar. Changing the stem really changed the way I feel on the bike. I like a slightly lower/racy feel. This definitely gave me this.

Also, when I was cheating the system with the 105mm stem, by pushing the saddle back on the rails a bit (to feel more stretched out). Going to the new stem, I was able to center the saddle a bit more and feel like I'm more "overtop" of the pedals.
I also like to be "overtop" of the pedals. Sounds like the set-up I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
29Inches said:
Anyone else having trouble figuring out the correct stem for your Sugar? The stock stem is 105 with a 7degree rise. I feel like I am too upright when pedaling. The frame is an XL and I am 6�2�. It is kind�a weird because the same stem is on my Rig and it feels great.

Any advise would be appreciated.
i'm 6'1" with long arms and have an xl, throw the 105 out and get a 90 0 deg. there was an ancient thread, possibly on the old 29" board, that mentioned the test rider they had was 6'5" and basically made it to fit him.

anyone know if there was any changes in geometry between the 03 and the 05 sugars? i'm waiting on a replacement frame.

e

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
29Inches said:

Thanks
I have the same stem. What I did was get a Bontrager 17 degree stem and flip it over, then used flat bars. The stem still has a spacer under it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
'05 293

I just replaced my stock stem on an '05 Large 293 with a 90mm. I cannot believe how much better the bike feels to me. The position of the bottom bracket still seems a little weird, but the pressure on my wrists is gone, and the light front end seems to roll over obstacles better and is both more forgiving and easier to correct. For me, better handling AND more stable.

Some potential qualifiers: I have short legs- 29" pant inseam for 6' 220#. Back problems keep me from dropping the bars much more than 1/2" below seat height (Although I definitely pedal better with them lower.) I'm no guru; I've been riding in short binges since '89, but intensively since last September (3-4 2+ hour rides per week)

Never thought a small change could make such a big difference. One of the reasons I bought the new bar was to go to the smaller standard in order to be able to experiment cheaply with a variety of different housebrand stems. I'm real happy with where I am now, but I do love to learn by experimentation.

I want a "knee-friendly" Thomson stem, but I want to do what I can to only buy one. I hate getting a nice part and being afraid to change it (and/or wonder if I'm convincing myself it's the right thing). Part of my cheapskate nature...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.