Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Go with the Fisher if you're a taller clyde.

Hey Masaemon,
From my experience as a tall clyde, I'd go with the 29" wheels. I've been riding 29 for about 3 months and will never ride 26" again. At #280, you my have to get a beefier wheelset on the Fisher. I'm riding SunRhynolites with zero problems (6'2"/#225) on my converted Santa Cruz Bullit.
If you stay with 26" wheels, the Heckler is a great choice for a do all xc bike. Santa Cruz bikes are rock solid. Just read the reviews to be convinced.

Good luck in your choice. Ride on.
Leonard

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
never tried a 29r but

I can say for sure the Heckler is a solid frame, its a simple, strong bike. I also think the Dawg would be good as well, its active suspension will help you on the climbs moreso than the Heckler. I would probably pick the Dawg based on the suspension design. As far as the Fisher goes, whats up with the Genesis Geometry?, it also seems like the least burly of the bikes you listed. I have never really liked their bikes anyway.

Just my thoughts.
happy trails

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
masaemon said:
I put the 293 as a 29 inch option... What are your suggestions on a sturdier 29er?
Check out the Lenz Sport's "Leviathan" or Ventana's brand spanking new 29"er if you want to stay with full suspension. The Ventana is more Clyde oriented.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Fattirewilly said:
Check out the Lenz Sport's "Leviathan" or Ventana's brand spanking new 29"er if you want to stay with full suspension. The Ventana is more Clyde oriented.
go 29, you WON'T go back.

235 pound clyd, and this bike roooocks...my 300lbs buddy has a bone stock one and swears by it, right down to the 28spoke stock wheels.

There's nothing stock about this one, but it's still a SUGAR baby...

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
masaemon said:
Comparing those 3 bikes is like comparing:
1) Suburban
2) Excursion
3) Subaru WRX

Pick the one that doesn't belong in teh group.

You've got 2 all mountain/light freeride bikes, and then a XC racer or light duty trail bike.

I'd recommend you first get straight with the Lord about what your intended usage is, then pick.

If you want a heavier duty bike in general, still consider 29, but like another poster said, consider the Vantana, or the new 5" Lenz 29er - can't remember the name, but it's basically a heavy duty Leviatahn with 5" travel front/rear.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From that group, Heckler.

I've got a big group of Clydes that rides a LOT and races 24 hr events.
2 guys on Hecklers...work great, strong and can be built up anywhere from 26.5 to 35 pounds - depending on your intent and $$$.

One guy on a Sugar...when he broke the second frame last year and had to fight GF to get it replaced - he bought an Epic. After 6 months he did get a replacement frame which he sold to a friend that goes about 140. Should be okay for him.

Don't know anything about the Kona....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ncj01 said:
Comparing those 3 bikes is like comparing:
1) Suburban
2) Excursion
3) Subaru WRX

Pick the one that doesn't belong in teh group.

You've got 2 all mountain/light freeride bikes, and then a XC racer or light duty trail bike.

I'd recommend you first get straight with the Lord about what your intended usage is, then pick.

If you want a heavier duty bike in general, still consider 29, but like another poster said, consider the Vantana, or the new 5" Lenz 29er - can't remember the name, but it's basically a heavy duty Leviatahn with 5" travel front/rear.
If you copmpare those to a suburban, an excursion an the wrx. what would be the equivalent of Range Rover??? an an Xterra??? Hummer??

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Here you go...

masaemon said:
If you copmpare those to a suburban, an excursion an the wrx. what would be the equivalent of Range Rover??? an an Xterra??? Hummer??
Range Rover: Seven
Xterra: Specialized Enduro
Hummer: Turner 5-Spot

Ken

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm a clyde at 5'11" 260lbs. I'm on a 17" Kona Dawg primo and loving it and it takes everything that i throw at it

Tight twisting dropping singletrack...wide open uphill climbs.... and drops around a 90deg corner...and it stays with me......

Can't go wrong on a KONA

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Ken in KC said:
Range Rover: Seven
Xterra: Specialized Enduro
Hummer: Turner 5-Spot

Ken
Got an Xtera....'04 XL Specialized Enduro Expert Frame for sale, ridden less than 7 months, looks almost new, if anyone is interested. Got pics/close ups, comes with Stem, Headset adn XT BB ....PM me. :)

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Hecler all the way. i am not a clyde but have seen clydes pound their hecklers and they just keep on going. plus the SP is so reliable and smooth.

·
Registered
192 Posts
How bout something different?!

Have you tried Gary Fisher's Cake?! I have an XL frame. It rides like a sports car. As far as 29ers go, yeah, they are nice, but limited. I rode Sugar for a couple of years. I thought it was everything a bike could be, that is, until I rode a Cake. Higher center of grav for us tall guys, and disk all the way. I have the Cake 2 DLX. It has a much beefier fork, a Fox Float, with much stronger stantions. This thing climbs over everything. No more chainsaw effect with the front crankset. I would suggest upgrading to a longer crank though, I did, and it feels so much better. But if you're still only interested in the three bikes you mentioned, I'd go with the 293.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.