Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I have developed play in my main pivot between the actual frame material and the pivot bolt sleeve. New bushings did not solve the problem. The sleeve doesn't sit tight enough so the main pivot moves up and down, then wears out my busings within a few rides. Fisher says it is because LBS didn't use green loctite over the many bushing replacements. Fisher says this is not a warranty item and that the LBS should get me a new Front triangle at their cost. LBS said, ya right! Anyone know of a fix for the sleeve/frame fit/tolerance? Anyone else experience this?

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
Can you post a photo of the problem area?

It sounds to me like the frame has worn and you have developed lateral play?
If this is a case, you may be able to get a igus washer that will fit in between the two to take out the slack, igus make lubricated thrust washers which look similar to a regular washer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
loctite

Nim said:
It seems that I have developed play in my main pivot between the actual frame material and the pivot bolt sleeve. New bushings did not solve the problem. The sleeve doesn't sit tight enough so the main pivot moves up and down, then wears out my busings within a few rides. Fisher says it is because LBS didn't use green loctite over the many bushing replacements. Fisher says this is not a warranty item and that the LBS should get me a new Front triangle at their cost. LBS said, ya right! Anyone know of a fix for the sleeve/frame fit/tolerance? Anyone else experience this?
lots of loctite is the only thing that will fix this, if they dealer didnt loctite it, its their fault, they should replace since they didnt service it correctly...it will wreck the main over time if there wasnt any loctite in there, metal on metal...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's what happened.

2inthehole said:
lots of loctite is the only thing that will fix this, if they dealer didnt loctite it, its their fault, they should replace since they didnt service it correctly...it will wreck the main over time if there wasnt any loctite in there, metal on metal...
Loctite won't fix it now, right? I have heard that maybe cutting some aluminum strips and wrapping around the sleeve to fill the gap - maybe, but sure doesn't seem like it would last. LBS, owner said, loctite, that's crazy,you don't need no stinkin' loctite. Tried to get them to call Fisher rep that I spoke with, they said no, we deal with our own guy. Nice.

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
Loctite RC680 should solve the problem...It's a gap filler and will take up the excess space...That's what I use on my top hat bushings on the rear swingarm because they sit a bit loose...I've yet to have problems and last year I needed to beat the crap out of one of the bushings to get it out because it was in so tight...I tried to replace all bushings once a year so I don't have a mis-season problem...

Rich

BTW...This loctite is specified right in the instructions...Your LBS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IT!!!

Rich

·
Registered
236 Posts
loctite

Nim said:
Loctite won't fix it now, right? I have heard that maybe cutting some aluminum strips and wrapping around the sleeve to fill the gap - maybe, but sure doesn't seem like it would last. LBS, owner said, loctite, that's crazy,you don't need no stinkin' loctite. Tried to get them to call Fisher rep that I spoke with, they said no, we deal with our own guy. Nice.
loctite is speced in the bike, this is needed no matter what. the 680 should take care of it, otherwise the only thing i cant think of, is since the main is crap and if loctite wont fix it, JB weld that bushing into the frame, it'll buy you some time till the bushing wares out to save up for a new main frame. which is only around $400 i think from fisher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.