Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Canada Cup race this weekend, my nuts met my toptube and the cluprit is shown at the bottom of the page. I did it climbing up a steep switchback, almost made the corner and "CRUNCH". Ugly sound, ugly result. A great weekend in Fernie though!

I had to run part of the last lap but still managed to finish 9th. Now the trick is...can I get a chainring before the Canmore gathering starts on Thursday?

b.

Nuts meet toptube...toptube meet nuts...

Attachments

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zenfrog said:
I like my nuts and I have one of those chainrings.
Any idea if Jericho is going to help you out with a new ring?
dunno, we're working on details. I've searched all of calgary for an AC splined spider to no avail. Zonic Man is working on some options as he's flying in on Wednesday.

The bike is a Jericho Payback of the "inner circle" variety. Columbus Foco, spanky lugs, and glow in the dark paint. It is by far the absolute finest riding bike I've ever owned.

b.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Saw this sort of thing happen with a few chainrings when Shimano went from 5 arm to 4. Going to 3 with no spider on an SS I would have thought is just asking for trouble. Do you have something against just getting the original spider and non-ramped ring of your choice on there? I would have thought that was the best option given your tight time frame - and most any bike shop should be able to help you out.

Sam

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
bones said:
At the Canada Cup race this weekend, my nuts met my toptube and the cluprit is shown at the bottom of the page. I did it climbing up a steep switchback, almost made the corner and "CRUNCH". Ugly sound, ugly result. A great weekend in Fernie though!

I had to run part of the last lap but still managed to finish 9th. Now the trick is...can I get a chainring before the Canmore gathering starts on Thursday?

b.

Nuts meet toptube...toptube meet nuts...
If you have the money, get one of the boone titanium rings for that spline pattern.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kolo said:
Saw this sort of thing happen with a few chainrings when Shimano went from 5 arm to 4. Going to 3 with no spider on an SS I would have thought is just asking for trouble. Do you have something against just getting the original spider and non-ramped ring of your choice on there? I would have thought that was the best option given your tight time frame - and most any bike shop should be able to help you out.

Sam
that's why he was looking for an AC spider, the original xtr spider likely didn't fit standard non-ramped rings.

·
pepito
640 Posts
ouch...

the nuts will heal, but the real painful part of the whole experience was the nasty bite the teeth took out of your chainstay. ouch!

the_dude

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes!

32seventeen said:
Hey Bones, I have an XTR adapter for a five bolt, compact ring. Let me know if you need it?
apparently one in Canada is an impossibility. Email me if you can [ brad at singlespeed dot net. ]

thanks,
brad.

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
really?

appleSSeed said:
jericho rings are evidently made of super soft metal, I bent one on the first ride
Mine's been great until now, it's lasted over a year without a problem and the wear is minimal between the teeth. Certainly it was much, much stronger than any other "brand" aluminum ring i've tried in the past including Spot.

b.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.