Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..my new stumpjumper has one of those damned front mechs where the tightening bolt (cable pinch bolt) is blocked by the chain rings and the cage itself. I tried 3 different types of allen sets and could not make it "in da hole" so to say.

So I guess I need a shorter tool :eek:

New pus*y should be easier to work ;)

So what kinda allen set do I need ta get?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Okay I'll sue you...

ArmySlowRdr said:
..my new stumpjumper has one of those damned front mechs where the tightening bolt (cable pinch bolt) is blocked by the chain rings and the cage itself. I tried 3 different types of allen sets and could not make it "in da hole" so to say.

but since you don't care where you post your question I guess I can tell you to piss off and if you don't like it sue me. :D

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
With your thumb, push the front derailleur cage away from you...that tilts the tightening screw up where you can just use any old allen wrench. Of course, you need three hands to do it all. So I ended wedging a pair of pliers in there so it would hold the front cage a little away from the frame while I tightened the bolt.

I just went through your pain last week and that's the ticket on my specialized epic.

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:

Just get an extra 5-er and lop it off to the right length with a Dremel.

Kathy :^)

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
I had to do this exact same thing ('cept I used a spare Allen wrench) to get my front derail. correctly alligned. If you have another person around, have them hold the front derail. away from the frame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.